Chapter II

The next day Bella went to school while me and Charlie went to work, nothing exciting happen but being tackled by The German Shepherd brothers named Hansen and Drake

The next day Bella went to school while me and Charlie went to work, nothing exciting happen but being tackled by The German Shepherd brothers named Hansen and Drake. I knew them since I was a year old and still in training.

After work, Charlie took me to lunch with Bella who got out of school. I got slices of roast while Charlie has steak and Bella had a veggie burger. The kind waitress place Bella's plate down in front of her, "I just can't get over how grown up you are. And so gorgeous." She told her.

Then Waylon, Charlie's best friend, came to our table as his eyes met Bella's. "Hey, Bella. You remember me? I played Santa one year."

"Yeah, Waylon, she hasn't had a Christmas here since she was four." Charlie reminded his friend.

"I bet I made an impression, though, didn't I?" He asked.

"You always do."

"Butt-crack Santa?" The waitress question, making me chuckle.

"Hey, kids love those little bottles, though." He argued.

"All right, let the girl eat her garden burger, Waylon." The waitress told him as he left our table before the waitress told Bella. "As soon as you're done, I will bring you your favorite. Berry cobbler, remember?" Bella nods her head. "Your dad still has it. Every Thursday."

"Thank you. That'd be great." Bella said.

The waitress then left us alone with our food, I started to feast on my food with my ears perked up for any source of danger. Which never came.

••°••°••°••°••°

By the evening after dinner I lay in Bella's bed while chewing my new deer plush toy that squeaks since Charlie threw away my hedgehog one.

Bella was on those cellular things that humans put on their ears to communicate with one another, right now she's communicating with her mother named Renee while she's doing her schoolwork. "Mom, where's your cell?" Bella ask over the cellular.

All I could hear was muffle voice of her mother, but whatever she said made Bella chuckle. She then said, "I miss you."

"Oh, baby, I miss you, too." I can vaguely hear her mother say. "But tell me more about your school. Now, what are the kids like? Are there any cute guys?" Her mother ask. I saw Bella roll her eyes at that. "Are they being nice to you?"

Bella sigh. "Well, they're all very welcoming." She sarcastically replied.

"Uh oh. Tell me all about it." Her mother said.

"It doesn't even matter." She said. Closing her binder and shove it away, hitting my tailbone which made me turn to eye her as she stroke my face. "I have homework to do. I'll talk to you later." She said. "Okay. I love you." Her mother said.

"Love you, too." She hung up her cellular thing before placing it on the desk.

She turns to look at me before saying, "Let's go to bed, boy." I let out a ruff as I stood as I paw at the bed to get comfortable before lying down while Bella put away her schoolwork in her backpack before changing into comfortable clothes and lay down in her bed. "Goodnight, Artemis." Bella said softly to me, I let out a whine in response before she turn off the lamp as she fell asleep. I wasn't far enough as sleep took over me.

••°••°••°••°••°

It has been a week since Bella had stayed with us, I've notice that she seem to be in a trance of sorts. Whenever she'd go to school, I smell expectation but she comes home looking defeated. I tried not to worry about it, but I wonder what she's expecting from school?

But one rainy morning, Charlie came back from the car shop after being gone for forty-five minutes. Bella and I came out the door, I was wearing my K-9 Police harness that I loathed due to it being heavy and uncomfortable.

Bella held my leash as we step down the small stars before Bella slip on the ice and fell to her butt, I sniff her just to make sure she's okay before Charlie helped her up. "You all right?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm good." She replied while standing up. "Ice doesn't really help the uncoordinated."

"Yeah. That's why I had some new tires put on the truck." Charlie explains to her, grabbing my leash from her. "Old ones were getting pretty bald." He then sigh. "Well, probably be late for dinner. I gotta head down to Mason County. Security guard at the Grisham Mill got killed by some kind of animal." He told his daughter as he lead me into the police car.

"An animal?" Bella questioned.

He open his driver door as I jumped in. "You're not in Phoenix anymore, Bells." Charlie said to her. "Anyway, I figured I'd lend a hand."

"Be careful." She told him.

Charlie smirked. "Always am."

"Bye Artemis." She bid me a goodbye. I let out a bark at her before Charlie step in, close the door as we drove towards the crime scene.

••°••°••°••°••°

We arrived at the crime scene, as soon as Charlie got out of his seat I jump out of the car myself. Charlie remove my least before command me, "Search!" I did what I was told as I start investigating the crime scene.

The blood was scarcely there except for small drops; the scent smelled like a dead human but the body was gone.

"Hey Art!" I heard someone call my name. I groan as I roll my eyes, I know that voice anywhere. Speak of the devil, here comes Hansen and Drake. "Hello Hansen and Drake." I greeted them.

"How's the new Swan doin'?" Drake ask me.

"She's good, she's at school." I reply.

Hansen chuckle. "Hey so, Lola was looking for you." He said.

I tilt my head at that, "She was?"

Lola was a beautiful German Shepherd with a coat made of gold, or so humans said. As you can guess, every male K-9s was in love with her. Except for me, I was more focus in my work. Lola was owned by Waylon but they took her with us for a while.

"Here she comes." Drake said.

We watch as Lola walk pass us, her beautiful brown eyes look at us. Mostly me. I hide away between the two, but I was easily spotted by my fawn coat. Her eyes started to sparkle as she said "Hi boys."

"Hi." The twins said in unison.

Hansen then push me forward so that I was right in front of her. She giggled "Hi Artie."

"H-hello Lola." I greeted back.

"We'll leave you two alone." Hansen said as him and his brother left. I let out a low growl as I glare at them.

"How's your day going?" My attention was back at Lola, I swear her beauty was.. intoxicating. Like she was putting a spell on me.

"M-my day is going fine. Thank you for asking." I reply.

She giggled at my stammer.

I then heard Charlie's cellular device ringing, he reaches into his pocket and place it in his ear. I could see his body getting agitated. He then whistle for me, I turn to Lola. "I'll see you later." I then ran to Charlie as he open the door for me and then got in himself.

He turn on the engine and sped to whatever destination we have to go.