Ch. 22

I rolled over on my side on the old bed of the ruins of Night Raid's former base. On one side was Leone, naked and still fast asleep while curled up in a ball as she nuzzled up under my arm. On the other... no one. My eyes fluttered open as I patted the empty space where Lubbock sould have been after our night together.

He was standing at the side of the bed, his bubble-butt still out as he pulled his shirt over his head. I reached out and pinched one of his ass cheeks as his shirt fell over to cover his chest.

"Ya-ouch! (Y-y/n)... what the hell, you horny bast..." I shut him up as he turned around, by grabbing his arm and pulling him down to kiss him.

"Leavig without saying "goodbye"? That's cold Lub..." I joked with a smug smile as we parted.

"I-It's not that..." He blushed, trying not to look me in the eyes. "I gotta leave for the capital to do some recon for our next mission, remember?"

"Oh, right... Be careful, okay? We'll see you later, bro." I said with a yawn before falling back on the bed with Leone.

"I will..." Lubbock sighed before turning back to finish getting dressed.

I could hear how careful he tried to be as he left the room as to not wake Leone and I up. But I was still awake. As fun as the night before was with both of them, I still hadn't gotten over my feelings for Leone. I watched her for a few minutes, as she just smiled through low breaths in her sleep. Moments like these were agony, because I wanted to tell her how special she was to me. But Leone wasn't interested in any of that. The risk of either of us dying at any moment while on missions scared her too much to want to deepen any relationship.

So if I wanted to be with her, I had to play along, and now we had gotten Lubbock involved in whatever this relationship we had was.

I sighed before moving over and kissing Leone on the forehead. I laid back down next to her while taking her hand in mine and tried to get a little more sleep before we had to go get Tatsumi and Air to meet up with Lubbock.

****

The capital's streets were crowded as Leone, Tatsumi, Air and I made our way to meet Lub. Most of my injuries had healed, although every time I looked at my new scars, I felt embarrassed by how lucky I was to have survived death. Truly, if Leone hadn't saved me, I would have died that day.

I could walk around without a crutch now, and my vision had returned to my beaten eye. I still wasn't back at my peak and couldn't go on missions yet. The most I could do now was exercise and train to keep my body from sitting around and doing nothing all day.

"You doing okay back there, (Y/n)?" Leone asked, her hands folded behind her head.

"For the umpteenth time, Leone, yes." She's been asking me the same question every few minutes since we left the base.

Normally, I'd be happy that she was so concerned for me. But that happiness wore out around the eleventh time she asked me. At this point, it was less touching and more annoying. Granted, I still had to wear braces on my arm and foot that were still recovering, and while I was still covered in bandages around my chest, shoulders and legs, that didn't mean she had to keep pestering me about my condition. I asked for a short break for my leg to rest when we reached the bottom of the mountain where our base was, so it's not like I was being stubborn. If the pain got to be too much, I'd let my friends know. So Leone asking over and over was unnecessary.