The Book Club

Prudence was standing on the black rocks of Buckwheat Bay, Toastwood. A lighthouse a few feet away and just beyond the horizon was Calyspo Island. She was seeing off her husband Austin, Peggy's cousin who assists her in running the Porterhouse estates including Porterhouse Manor and Porterhouse Ranch. Supplying beef, milk, wheat and oats to Toastwood and the surrounding cities like Tacodale, they were the closest thing to royalty and she was blessed by Peggy to marry into the Porterhouse family through Austin. Austin was travelling to Calyspo Island, attempting to strike a deal between the Porterhouse family and Papa's Freezeria to supply their new oat milk product at the Freezeria and grocery stores on the island. They have had success in selling it to Papa's Cheeseria and Papa's Mocharia, time to expand East. ''Please don't worry my dear, when I come back our empire will be glorious!'' ''Oh Austin, please don't leave me, without you I am helpless with everything but the thought of your return. Why would I be so chilly without your warm cuddles under the blankets that I'll perish from frostbite before the sun has risen.'' I start fanning myself with a yellow orange paper fan, Austin takes a lock of my brown coils of hair, swoops it over my left ear and clips a silver sailboat pendant onto the orange lace of my bodice. He then kisses me, I turn red as a ripe strawberry, I can see into the rings of Cocoa that are his eyes. ''I'll be back before you know it, manage the Inn to keep you busy and please don't worry about me. I'll always love you Sienna.'' She was lost in his image, in her book. ''PRUDENCE, Earth to Prudence!''

''Ah!'' Prudence fell over in her chair, landing on the cool grey tiles of the Powder Point library floor. ''So what are your thoughts on 'Love and Oats'?'' ''First off, what were they thinking with that title?'' ''Second, even though this is a 19th century retelling of Austin and Sienna's relationship, I feel like Austin saying that he'll always love Sienna is cheap and meaningless since he goes off to cheat on her with Trishna, she's not even a permanent resident! The S.S. Louie just happened to dock there for the day and that's all it took for that evil temptress to break him apart from the Porterhouse Family and then she has the gall to open up a citrus smoothie shop with him in Whiskview Mall!''

Sue threw her copy of Love and Oats on the ground ''THANKS for the SPOILERS! And just when I was getting invested in the story too!'' Mary, Maggie and Perri also looked disappointed in Prudence and Scarlett just turned to her. ''Prudence, when you're in a book club, we read at the same pace and discuss the chapters we read as a group that week. We do not read ahead and spoil the ending for other members.'' ''I can't help it, it's a real page-turner!'' ''Yes and we love that about you but if you must read ahead, keep the spoilers to a minimum.'' The clock struck 3:30 PM and Scarlett looked over at a metal book cart. ''This has been the 182nd weekly meeting of the Romance Readers Book Club. As always you are welcome to check 2 books from the cart to read and remember tomorrow morning is our weekend Readers Retreat in Maple Mountain, we'll be staying at the Snowy Pines Resort and Ski Lodge. Free Breakfast will be provided by Papa's Pancakeria.'' 

Prudence picked up her purse from the coat rack, checked out a horror/romance called The Cottage and a more traditional romance novel Storm in the Seas about how Robby fell in love with Kailani before she was one of 39 who drowned in the Shrimp Boat accident that left Robby, the sole survivor with horrible PTSD and how he was rescued by Captain Cori or as the novel called her ''A guardian angel sent by the ocean spirits.''. 

Prudence came home to her dog Pickles yipping at her door excitedly and a voicemail for her. ''Don't worry Pickles, Powder Point Animal Care Kennel will take good care of you. She pressed the play messages button on her voicemail and message was ''Hello this is Powder Point Animal Care Kennel, we're afraid that due to a staffing issue we will be unable to accept any animals after today. Your deposit has been refunded and we're so sorry for any problems this may have caused for you.'' Prudence put down her phone and turned to Pickles. ''Looks like you're coming with me to the retreat.'' ''YIP!''