S/he's The One

Cooper carried the dishes of that morning's patrons, Prudence's and his own to the sink. The running tap filled the sink with warm water, a gentle lather of lemon scented dish soap on the sponge gave each plate, fork and glass a nice refreshing clean. Hills of white bubbling foam formed on top of the water in the sink, the dishes were stacked in the rack drying and Cooper tried to turn the tap off but he turned the handle the wrong way and the water had a splash back effect on his yellow striped apron. Prudence came in to see quite a scene, Cooper was getting drenched, soap bubbles were floating in the air and she immediately turned the tap off. She saw Cooper, the drip drops from the tips of his now flat dark brown hair, the soaked yellow apron stuck tight to the white shirt underneath and he had a soap bubble on top of his nose. She walked over, popped the bubble and got him to the laundry room in the back to peel off the apron. His white shirt that was also soaked from the tap water had a translucent effect showing off his chest. He wasn't the most muscular guy, his pecs didn't pop and his abs were there but they were a faint outline of abs at best but there was something about Cooper, the soft squish of his skin, the way he was amused by the whole mishap instead of steaming like the hot-headed popular jocks she went to high school with, the sparkle in his eyes and just wow! ''If I knew I would be getting wet today, I would have packed an umbrella.'' ''What? You're wet, I was just drenched in sink water a few minutes ago.'' She placed a firm grasp on his shoulder and her voice dropped down to a sultry tone ''Exactly. Now hand over the shirt, you steaming hot bagel!'' Prudence snapped out of it and put the apron and shirt in the dryer, fumbling with the buttons on the machine while cherry red in the face. 

Cooper stayed in the laundry room while his clothes were being washed. He noticed that Prudence's novel Love and Oats was left on the washing machine. He read a few pages about how hopeless, helpless and heartbroken Sienna was without Austin. He was impressed by the intelligent albeit flowery writing of these romance novels. He couldn't see himself reading something like this unless he was forced to do so as a class requirement. Now he could appreciate the historical significance of being a retelling of the Porterhouse affair that rocked the nation, but what he could not stand was that no one did a thing about it until the divorce papers were signed. Wouldn't Peggy try to convince him to stay with his dear and faithful wife? Prudence was surely faithful but she's not hopeless without a husband. She is independent, intelligent, self-sufficient and common sense, that's what he loves about Prudence. A good woman with a sharp mind and sound judgement. Plus the ladies in these old books are too melancholic, Prudence is...  He pressed his ear to the floorboard to hear Prudence cheerfully giving a customer their pancakes. ''2 blueberry waffles with berries and whipped cream. And a medium mixed berry juice for Mandi.'' ''That's me, thank you.'' ''Have a great day Mandi, enjoy the waffles!'' ''You too!'' Mandi's cheer was caught from Prudence, her exuberance is contagious, someone call the CDC! His train of thought about Prudence's good qualities were interrupted by the ding of the dryer, his shirt and apron were finally dry and he could join Prudence behind the counter. 

The rest of the day went well and it was time to close the restaurant for the night. As part of the closing routine, the two pushed tables to the center and draped the tablecloth over the tables arranged in a large circle. The two looked at each other and leapt up onto the table. Delicately  stepping across the sleek silk white cloth, they waltzed from tabletop to tabletop. The soft glow of candle light from the chandelier above illuminates them dancing as one.