she's a fighter

"malia i love you, but you walk slow

"malia i love you, but you walk slow." chloe told her friend as they walked through the parking lot of the studio.

after last competition, malia spent that night at chloe's house all weekend and then christi brought them from school to the studio. but malia had a long day at school and she was way to tried for dance and the lack of pep in her step showed it.

"chlo leave me alone. i had four test today and in pe we ran the pacer and did a lot of like lower body stuff. excuse me." malia responded as they walked through the front door greeting gianna.

"middle school seems hard."

"it is. especially when i'm the youngest out of everyone." malia groaned plopping down on the bench of then den

"that's what you get for leaving me to skip 3rd grade." chloe sassed while pulling her shoes off and malia scoffed doing the same.

"sorry i'm to smart for you chlo."

the two continued to joke until they were sat on the studio floor in front of the pyramid. malia had changed into a black leotard and tights with a magenta cropped t-shirt over and her hair was thrown up into a ponytail.

"this weekend we were in providence, rhode island, an hour outside boston. some of the most prestigious dance studios in the country are there. tough schools, tough competitors. and you really held your own. you won that victory cup. you killed it, i'm very proud."

malia began to zone out as she played with the end of her ponytail until abby began flipping the chalkboard around and she seen her headshot still at the top of the pyramid. "we are going to- what?"

"starpower!" the girls all read off the chalkboard.

"it's at the mohegan sun in connecticut, and it's a resort. it's all self-contained. we can't forget anything. so we will have a wardrobe for each day that they are going to be there, just like the old school days. yes? and you will pack here, in front of me, so that I know that you have everything."

"let's talk about the board. first of all, everybody worked together as a team. that teamwork is going to help you at nationals. that's what's going to put you over the top. teamwork and technique. those are the two things that we're going to concentrate on this week."

"moms, we're doing another new number." while the girls began cheering. the moms sighed in defeat. "one more costume! this week i'm going to ask you to work harder than you ever have before. we need to show up and walk in there like we own the place. and I will give you a pack list for clothes for the trip, and I want them dressed a certain way every single day that we are there."

the moms had finally went upstairs and brooke and malia had to pull the ballet bars out for a technique class.

malia had to withhold an eye roll every five minutes because abby would have her demonstrate something the other girls weren't doing.