𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙮 𝙩𝙝𝙧𝙚𝙚.

─☼☼☼─

"𝙒𝙃𝘼𝙏 𝙊𝙉𝙀?" 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙍𝙇𝙊𝙏𝙏𝙀 wondered, pointing to the two dresses that lay out on the bed in front of her. 

She stood with a towel clutched around her bare body, wet hair sticking to her neck from the shower her and Rafe had shared minutes earlier. 

Emerging from the closest, now fully dressed, Rafe regarded the two options, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth. "That one." He answered, nodding toward the blue and white floral dress. "It makes your boobs look extra good."

Rolling her eyes, Charlotte reached for the dress. "Do you ever think about anything other than my boobs?"

"On occasion I like to think about your ass." Rafe grinned, taking a seat on the bed before pulling the case of melted gold toward him. "I like to switch things up."

A playful smile had settled on Charlotte's lips, her mouth open to shoot back a retort. But the words soon fell dead in her throat as she turned, her eyes landing on a figure standing in the doorway. 

Self-consciously, she gripped the towel tighter to her body. Suddenly feeling entirely exposed. A mixture of fear, distaste, and confused swiping across her features. "Rafe." She muttered, trying to pull his attention toward the door. 

Rafe didn't turn his back. "Jesus, Lottie. I'm kidding. I promise I think about other things other than your─"

"Rafe." She repeated, this time more forcefully, throat constricting on itself. 

Finally, Rafe turned to face her, his eyes snagging on what had her so upset. 

Standing in the doorway of the bedroom was Ward Cameron. 

He was out of bed. Here. In the Outer Banks. 

"Dad." Rafe breathed out, already moving to put himself between Charlotte and his father. He could feel her discomfort from across the room. 

Ward cracked a small smile, nodding at his son. "Hey, bud." His eyes then swivelled toward Charlotte, but only for a moment. "Charlotte."

Rafe turned, facing Charlotte with a gentle expression. "Lottie, go get changed. I'll come get you in a few minutes."

Charlotte didn't argue. Instead, she clutched onto the towel for dear life as she scooped up the dress Rafe had chosen, barely even honouring Ward with a glance before she disappeared into the bathroom. 

Subconsciously, she clicked the lock once she was in the bathroom, trying to put as much distance between herself and Ward as possible.

But even the locked door couldn't drown out the voices seeping in from the bedroom. 

With her heart hammering against her ribcage, Charlotte dressed quickly. She knew she had to get ready...they had their meeting with a potential buyer in less than an hour. But there was something so wrong about contouring her face while her boyfriend went head to head with his mentally unstable father just feet away. 

Nonetheless, she gave it her best effort─making herself as presentable as possible while still keeping an ear on the conversation behind the closed door.