Chapter 2

I look over at Annamarie with a flushed face. I can feel it radiating off my cheeks, which gets very frustrating after a while. "No, I don't want to move," I hiss at her. "Just drop it, okay, I'm too awkward."

    "Too awkward?" Annamaire asks, raising an eyebrow at me. "Girl, you're not awkward. Maybe a bit weird, but not awkward."

    I roll my eyes, sighing. "Besides, why would he even like me?" I ask unenthusiastically, feeling my shoulders slump. "I'm not the best looking person at this school."

    "Neither is he," Annamarie interrupts, shrugging when I give her a death stare. "What, just saying!"

    "Hey-o! How was your summers'?" We both look up to see Chiho Aoki, a girl we're good friends with. She is dating Joey Teru, which started around last year in the fall. She is wearing a white uniform shirt with a black skirt, her buckled shoes strapped perfectly over her stockings.

    "Good," we both answer. I know this conversation won't be over.

    Chiho sits behind me, placing her bag down next to her chair. "What were you two talking about?"

    "Nothing!" I answer a bit loudly.

    "Josie has a crush on Sam Griffin!" Annamaire tells her in a whisper, smiling widely as I groan in embarrassment.

    "Still?!" Chiho gasps, leaning over so we won't have to talk loudly. I told her last year around Christmas time that I liked him. She didn't know if he liked me back because she told me that Joey hasn't said anything, and Joey talks a lot. Only Annamaire and Chiho know who I like, and I would like to keep it that way, unless someone has any details.

    She looks over at Joey and Sam, who are still laughing and taking pictures of each other on their chrome books. I can't help but smile, wishing I was over there next to Sam, laughing along.

    "She has it BAD," Annamaire nods.

    "Well, I will let you know if Joey mentions anything, he has a big mouth," she smiles fondly at her boyfriend. Joey looks over and notices us ogling at them. He waves at us, Sam looking over at us curiously. I quickly look away, Annamarie giggling at me. "Kon'nichiwa, dārin," Chiho waves lovingly.

    "HI!" Joey smiles back, going back to messing around with Sam.

    Chiho exhales happily, turning back to face Annamaire and I. "Isn't he darling? And by the way, do any of you have any food? I skipped breakfast and Joey only has Doritos."

    "Well..." I mumble, dreading looking into my bag. "I have some bread and jam if you want some..."

    "Yeah, sure!" she grins happily. I recover from Sam looking over at us and sigh. I reach down to open my backpack, taking a whole loaf of bread out of my bag, along with a large jar of strawberry jam my nonna made me bring to share with the class. You can take her out of Italy, but you can not take Italy out of her. She always has something to make and will either donate it or give it to me to bring to school. I made the bread yesterday evening and the jam about two days ago so it can set. I dig around for a knife, one of those plastic handle ones that aren't quite a cutting knife, but aren't dangerous.

    "Uhh, do you want me to cut you a piece?" I ask nervously, watching their faces of shock when I pull out a whole loaf of bread from my bag. I unwrap it a bit, waiting for her response.

    "Can I have two slices? You and your grandma make the best food," Chiho moans happily, eyeing the bread and jam.

    "I want one, too!" Annamaire gasps happily.