Chapter 6

The nurse hands Sam two bags of ice; one for his nose and one for his shoulder. I sit on the uncomfortable, blue, not-so-squishy nurse bed next to him, but on the end as far as possible. His nose has stopped bleeding, but looks a bit swollen. He's currently texting his father about a watered down version about what happened. I watch as hair curls around his ears, his mouth twitching as he thinks about what to type. His face looks serious as he quickly types, but also looks disappointed. I know he must be humiliated by being saved by a Baker Girl... I would be, too.

    "All right... my father knows what happened," he sighs, fixing his bent posture. I quickly look away before he sees me looking thoughtfully at him. 

    "W-What about your mom?" I ask nervously. I don't think I have really seen her often. I heard him tell Joey that she works out of the state and country a lot, so it's just him and his father.

    "Oh, I'll let her know later. I think my dad is gonna tell her, though. He has a loose mouth," he answers, sighing and turning off his phone. He puts it back in his pocket when the nurse comes back in. He puts the ice back on his shoulder, his face hardening from the sting. I feel extremely upset for him, he didn't deserve being beat up.

    "Is the ice helping?" she asks. She doesn't look like a nurse. She looks like a normal looking woman, no white or blue clothes. But she does look official. Her blonde hair is tied up in a bun and her brown eyes are hidden behind a pair of square glasses.

    "A bit," Sam nods.

    "You're not hurt, are you?" she asks me in a questionable way.

    "Oh, no, ma'am, Mrs. O'Riley told me to come," I answer her smally, looking down at my lap.

    "Ok, okay," she hums softly. "It's nice of you to stay here with your friend."

    Sam and I glance at each other. He offers me a soft grin, which makes my face turn a little red. "Thanks for being here, Josephine," he tells me, making me feel all gooey. The nurse smiles and then goes off to answer the phone on the other side of the bed room.

    "Y-You're welcome," I nod. Then I think for a little bit, knowing I'll probably mess it up, but I have to try. "I-I don't think I have y-your number... If you n-need someone to talk to, y-you can call... me..."

    "Does that mean you'll help me learn how to cook?!" he gasps happily, his eyes lighting up adorably.

    I fidget with my hair a little before answering. "Maybe."

    "It'll take it!" he grins. He pulls his phone out and I take mine out as well. We give each other our numbers, which takes about a minute. "What do you want your profile picture to be?"

    "Ermm... uhh, I don't know."

    "I'll just take a picture of you. Is that okay? You can take one of me."

    "I-I guess," I mumble. I can take a picture of him without it being weird! I don't do anything with the pictures other than just look fondly at them, anyway. I scoot myself a little closer and face him, and put on a smile.

    "You have a nice smile," Sam compliments as he takes a picture, making my face turn beat red. I turn away a little, not helping but smile. "Oh– sorry if that was weird... I never know what to say."

    "I-It's okay," I reassure him, taking a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "Can I take one of you, now?"

    "Yes, of course," he nods. He scoots closer, making me nervous. He puts on his best smile. He has a lovely smile.

    Everything about him is lovely. He's thoughtful and caring, so nice and charming, cute... just the whole package. And he wants to know how to cook, and he wants ME to teach HIM! I can't wait to tell my grandma about him. Of course, I'll leave out the crushing hard on him part, but I'll tell her that he wants to learn how to cook, and if he is able to come over or if I can go over to his house.