I'm just me

"mh, N-Neji" her voice was shaky and soft, but better a shaking voice than none.

"hm?" he looked down to her

she couldn't meet his eyes, just couldn't.

"e-ever since the accident in the mountain cave,"

silence while Tenten struggled finding the words

"I think! Maybe it started even before that, I can't remember but what I want to say is that I have feelings for you!!" Gosh, she finally said it.

"Yes, I have feelings for you and it has been so annoying because it's all I could think about and I know that you don't like me back and I don't want you to! That's not it, I'm not looking for like a relationship or something-" Tenten can't stop talking, she opened her mind and it won't close. She stands up in her agitation to finally face Neji and look him in the eyes.

"That's not the intention! I don't even know why I think this would be my intention, I'm just so confused about my feelings and I just needed to tell you!" she said "to carry on."

Her stream of words having stopped, she stood in front of Neji, she was breathing heavier from the adrenaline, she then averted her gaze as nothing but silence follows the distant growing sound of her voice.

"Uff, I'm sorry, I think I said a lot..." embarrassment now catching up to her

she sits down again

"I'm sorry, I'm probably making you uncomfortable... I know this is selfish but I just couldn't keep it in.." she says as she puts her face into her hands, just to maybe find some comfort and a small hiding place.

"that sure was a lot" Neji says after a short while

"I know, right" Tenten agrees

"What makes you think that?" he asks

"Like what?" she asked back "That I like you? Well because I think you're perhaps the most inspiring person I know.." Tenten says in agony, she has already said so much, a little more honesty won't make it worse

Neji clears his throat, his cheeks slightly flushed, arms still crossed "that's not what I meant"

"Why do you think I don't like you back?" he says calmly

"uh..." Tenten was lost for words, what did he mean? "Because... I'm.. you know, I'm just me?" her voice is quieter

"what does that mean you're just you?"

Tenten felt caught "well, I don't know... I just.. don't feel like someone like you would like someone like me in.. that way" she had to give out a little laugh afterwards at how stupid she sounded

"someone like me?" he said 

"argh, like I don't know, someone amazing!! and talented!" what was she saying!

another moment of silence passed

"I'm just me the way you are just you" he said

"and I don't see why someone that's me couldn't like someone that's you"

Tenten looked up to only find Nejis eyes already glancing her way

Was she dreaming or something? What is happening... ?

"What do you mean?" she was the one asking this time, with disbelief, she stood up once more

"It's what I said" he answered, their eyes meeting.

Tenten searched in his eyes for any trace of lying, but she couldn't find anything but blunt honesty in his bright eyes... she took a step closer, and another. But still nothing. Was he for real?

"Why does your face look like that?" Neji asked, his voice low and slightly confused

"I don't believe you." Tenten said, truthfully and still taken aback by this supposed revelation

The night was still cool and the wind smelled of rain, the moon shining peacefully down on them as they stood so close together.

slowly Neji put his hand on Tentens cheek. Tentens heart started racing with the wind, the mere touch drew warmth on her skin.

Both come closer until their lips meet.

Tenten has butterflies exploding in her stomach the moment their lips touch.

when they part again Neji exhales, almost nervously "but you should."

__________

someone bumps into her "hey! watch it" the old man said grumpily as he angrily passes by her weapon shop.

This forces Tenten back into the present. 

All these things are far in the past, they have become mere memories.

It's been so many years, she can't remember the sound of his voice. No matter how hard she tries.

With her broom still in hand she looks up at the blue sky, she sees a few birds passing the beautiful vastness and watches them with patience.

She cannot help but smile.

______________________

Aah, this is the end of the story!! Thank you so so much for reading until the end or at all, I hope you liked it 🤍🤍