ミ★ 3. 𝘈𝘥𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘺 ★彡

It had been about two years since you had entered the orphanage. 

Not much of note happened; your consciousness would fade for months on end, so your memory was blurry. But no attacks were made on the Deseos, and the children (kinda) behaved themselves.

An interesting (and somewhat terrifying) revelation you had is that the Undergrove is actually perpetually dark- there is no sky, only bright gemstones and a massive, yellow topaz that shines during the "day".

Perhaps the memory wipes had something to do with the reincarnation system? Of course, NiNi would not be back for another five years, so you were on your own for the time being. Because Old Henson, the orphanage man, never answered your questions. He would always say; "You're too young, (Name)."

The children weren't any help, either. A majority of them were way younger than you, and the ones that were around your age refused to talk to you.

"I wouldn't be caught dead talking to a human!" A young demon girl with ram horns similar to Henson's snarled.

Your parents weren't either, punk. But you held your tongue; these were children in a far worse mental state than you. Of course, they would lash out.

Despite your foggy memories, there was only one memory that was solid in your mind. No matter what, you remembered it with perfect clarity;

It was a month ago, on the Festival of the Summer Solstice

It was a month ago, on the Festival of the Summer Solstice. The giant topaz was almost as bright as the regular sun that day. Old Henson had asked you to fetch him a red beryl-type gem from town.

"(Name), could you take these coins down to Old Forger? Ask him for red beryl, please." Henson coughed whilst he tended to the fireplace.

You asked him where to go.

"Down Main Street a bit. He has a... distinct taste in decoration for his stall." He answered with humor.

"But what about the kids?" The other children were outside enjoying the festivities. Why you weren't with them? Let's just say last year's festival left a bad taste in your mouth.

"They're in the animal district. Old Forger's place is on the opposite side of Deseos." Henson griped his warbled oak cane. "I know I should go, but I don't have the strength or power to walk much."

Your face went dark for a few moments. Old Henson's condition is deteriorating. His discipline has been lax for the past year. Who will take care of the orphanage? But Henson interrupted your thoughts with an offer;

"How about I tell you a story about the Undergrove, hmm? Will that cheer you up?" Henson promised you.

Information was more valuable to you than any jewel or fine silk. Of course, you agreed.

"Got it, Mister Henson. I won't let you down!"

...

Walking down Deseos's main street, you finally got to witness the village in all its cozy glory; merchants lined the cobblestone corridors with small red snacks. Other stalls had small glass ornaments for sale. The smell of baked goods could be identified for miles. There was talk of bartering, inflation, and all sorts of topics that a youngster like you had no hope of joining in on.

 There was talk of bartering, inflation, and all sorts of topics that a youngster like you had no hope of joining in on

"Twelve coins for a biscuit? Preposterous!" A woman's shill voice rang about.

"Sorry ma'am.." A young man answered meekly. "Grain harvests have been poor. We might need to scout farmland on the over-world.."

You neared towards a gaudy sign that read; "GEMS FOR SALE". The sign pointed toward a shady alleyway between two empty buildings. The farm district's stench assaulted you even from a few meters away. The sight of the older kids harassing the farm animals made you flinch.

Ugh, pick your poison, (Name).

Avoiding the farm district like the plague, you dashed over to Forger's alleyway, praying that you weren't noticed.

Once you arrived at Forger's shop, you handed over the pouch of coins that Henson gave you. You inquired about the beryl.

"How much?" You look around his shop. He had a few colorful gems hanging from display spider-string; lapis lazuli, emerald, quartz, but none of them glimmered as much as the red beryl in the back of his stall.

"Twelve coins," Forger answered briskly. From my knowledge, a coin is worth as much as a dollar, isn't red beryl a rare gem?

Once you have the gem in your hands, you ask another question.

"Is red beryl common?" You scratch your head. You had trimmed your hair short because the children kept sticking sap in it.

The old shopkeep had a shimmer in his eyes. "Of course, under Queen Lilith, our mines have prospered. She is our savior. If it wasn't for her, the "angels" would have massacred us by now." Feelings of spiritual rapture radiated from the man. Your interest was piqued.

"Why are you- ahem, we at war with the angels?" You interjected.

Picking up a parchment from his stall, Forger gifted you the paper. "Read this over when you have the chance; I can't explain it to you right now." His eyes narrowed and focused on the squad of young teens exiting the farm district. They were wielding pitchforks and other farm equipment.

"Hey, (Name)!" The 'leader' with curly bright red hair exclaimed as he strolled into the narrow alleyway. There goes my exit. You liked to call him Freckles-it pissed him off to no end. He was a year older than you and was by far the biggest pain in the ass for you, with his oversized ram horns and his fat, pointy tail.

"You were looking for jewels, eh? I got some right here you can suck!" Freckles exclaimed whilst pointing at his groin. The other kids snickered.

Old Forger hid meekly behind his stall. You gave him a reassuring nod and turned to face your assailants. You crack your hands. "Sorry Freckles, but I would need a spyglass to see your malformed dick." Fuck it, let's sink to his level. I'm tired of playing nice.

"Oh, yeah? You'll also need a revival spell from how hard you'll choke~"

Taking a deep breath, you drown out the rest of his words, the roaring of the newly-formed crowd, and recite a quick Tuere. Time to put those spells you read to the test.

(A/N): Thank you so much for seventy reads! Leave a vote and comment if you think (Name) will win! Picrew used for chapter banner is https://picrew

(A/N): Thank you so much for seventy reads! Leave a vote and comment if you think (Name) will win! Picrew used for chapter banner is https://picrew.me/en/image_maker/448496 .