Eighteen: Briefing

[Hello everyone! This month is Chaldea update month, so every other Sunday this story will be updated! Hope you guys enjoy~ we're headed to Rome, so let's see how Aleksei will deal with this new singularity!]

"The tech department is analyzing the Grail you retrieved as we speak," Da Vinci informed the group as she stood with Romani, who grimaced slightly. 

"Please pardon the work crew for not being very reliable," He said before a smile appeared back on his face. "We're already set to Rayshift. This time you're headed to 1st Century Europe, specifically Ancient Rome, the great empire that grew from Italy to control the Mediterranean Sea."

"Oh, you didn't tell me it would be in Ancient Rome," Da Vinci's eyebrows raised at the doctor. "That sounds like fun, I sort of want to go too!"

"You have analyzing to do, I believe," Romani shot a look back at her. "Please partake of Roman pleasures some other time."

"Oh darn it," The mage pouted slightly. "I don't care which one, but I've always wanted to chat with a Roman Emperor. Especially Emperor Caligula or Nero, I bet we'd have a lot in common."

"Yeah, I feel the same, but no we can't," the doctor shook his head. "You also have work to do reviving Chaldea,"  He shooed her away, then cleared his throat as he returned his attention to the group in front of him. "Ahem, is that clear, Fujimaru, Vasiliev? Your teleport point is the Imperial Capital Rome. The name of the Roman Empire's capital is also Rome. It's geographically similar to the last time."

"Yep," Fujimaru nodded. "Anything else we should know?"

"The exact location of the supposedly existing Holy Grail is unknown. There may be historical changes as well, neither can be determined," Romani explained with a slight frown. "Sorry, the observation precision seems unstable."

"No problem," Mash piped up. "Either way, Senpai, Vasiliev and I will locate it."

"Right, that's the spirit," The doctor looked relieved. "You really are reliable. Similar to the last mission, you'll reach and correct the singularity. Also, find the Grail and either obtain it or destroy it," He instructed before making a grave expression. "Humanity's continuation is on your shoulders. I hope you're successful this time too. And..." He paused. "That you come back safely."

"...Yes," Mash agreed. "We'll make it back to Chaldea, I promise."

"And to make good on that promise," Aleksei spoke up for the first time since the start of the meeting, causing all eyes to fall on him. "The useless ruler should stay and help out the monitoring crew."

"Hey, you don't get to give her orders!" Fujimaru snapped. 

"I said should, not will, so it wasn't an order," The Russian deadpanned at the other master. "It was just a very strong suggestion, one I highly suggest you take. I will also be leaving--" he glanced back at his servants. "Medi and Chulainn."

"Awww," The lancer immediately complained, clinging to Archer, whose expression was pretty blank all things considered. "But I wanted to fight alongside Archer again like the good ol' days!"

"I don't believe we ever actually fought together."

"Meh, it was close enough."

"Too bad," Aleksei replied, causing Chulainn to huff and pout, but put up no further verbal protest. 

"Ugh, fine," Fujimaru groaned, casting a sorrowful look at the ruler, who only shook her head with a smile. 

"It's no trouble, master. I'll assist as best I can from here to make things go smoother," Jeanne promised. 

"Alright, if you're sure," Fujimaru sighed. 

"Right then," Romani bowed quickly to the three that would be staying behind. "Thank you very much for agreeing to help with the technical side of this mission, it really does mean a lot."

"Don't mention it," Medusa muttered, crossing her arms as Chulainn did a dramatic shrug. 

"Anyway," The doctor refocused. "Even though you are leaving three servants here, I'm sure there will be servants that are summoned to the singularity as well, so if possible, you can call upon their power for anything you lack. Of course, you won't get help from hostile ones, so be careful," He advised. 

"Doctor, I have a question," Mash spoke up. "May I ask it?" Romani nodded, so she continued. "Hostile servants and neutral servants; is there a way to distinguish them upon detection?"

"It would be best if we had the ability to distinguish them from our observation data, for example, the ability to see if approaching Servants are enemies or possible allies, but I'm sorry. That's impossible right now," He said. "Even if we combine Shiva and Trismegistus, the best we can do is detect lifeforms and energy readings. The ability to distinguish hostility, that lies within the realm of psychology. Not even rulers--" He glanced briefly at Jeanne, "--would be able to tell if a servant is hostile like this. For now, we can't quantify that with numbers like we can other things. I'm sorry, Mash."

"But based on the situation, we can infer the chances of hostility," Jeanne brought up. "Especially based on the servant's true name, since even if I'm not there in person, I should be able to figure it out based on the readings."

"And I'll do my best to detect the readings of local humans," Romani added. 

"Sounds like you two are the dream team," Aleksei said, his voice patronizing as he looked like he wanted to roll his eyes at them. Jeanne flushed slightly as Romani cleared his throat. 

"Well then, let's start the Rayshift," the doctor quickly busied himself with any last minute preparations as the masters and servants got in their pods. "Program start!" Romani called, and sure enough within the next few seconds, the masters and servants were Rayshifted to the new singularity. 

"Ah, we've successfully teleported this time, Senpai," Mash noted as she glanced around. "The feel of the wind, the scent of the earth, the vast blue sky.."

"Yeah, humanity hasn't fucked it up yet," Aleksei yawned, causing Mash and Fujimaru to send him unappreciative looks. 

"As pessimistic as always," Emiya hummed as he stood with Iskandar, Enkidu and Kotarou. 

"Fouu!"

"Not again," The Russian immediately deadpanned as the furball appeared. Fujimaru also sweatdropped. 

"Did you just pop out of Mash's chest?"

"Fou?" The creature looked up. "Kyu! Kyau!"

"Looks like Fou will be tagging along again," Mash smiled, seeming to relax a bit. "He prefers the outside world to the cramped base."

"Or it enjoys being a nuisance."

"Dude," Fujimaru gave him another look, which didn't last long as his eyes were drawn to the sky. 

"...That ring of light is visible in the sky in this era as well, huh?" Mash murmured, also looking up at the sky, or more like the circle of mana that made a ring of clouds up in the atmosphere. In other words, the tell-tale sign that they were in a singularity.