Twenty: My

(OooO this story finally gets a comment goal! I'll make it easy for ya and start off with it being 12, so good luck and happy reading!)

"By the way," Nero said as the troop was heading out. "I don't doubt that you're foreigners, but where are you from? Surely not..." She suddenly made a disgusted face as she practically spat the name. "Britannia. The far east.. doesn't seem likely either."

"You don't have to know where we're from for you to make use of us," Aleksei said before either of the naiive fools--namely Mash and Fujimaru if that wasn't obvious enough--could say something that would make the emperor hostile. 

"Hmph, well said," Nero huffed. "Since you are foreigners, and you are not under my command, I have no right to question you regarding your origins. Shame, though."

"Master," Kotarou appeared beside Aleksei, who paused in his step. "Another wave of enemies is approaching."

"Thanks for the heads up," the Russian said, glancing at everyone to make sure they were ready for another round of fighting. 

"Damn those restless United Empire fools!" Nero cursed. "How dare they continue to oppose me?! Let's go! You! Very striking-looking girl, I order you to serve as my shield! The rest of you," She wave her arm out towards the incoming enemies. "Bring me victory once again!"

"Uh, right!" Mash flushed slightly. "Senpai, now we're the ones under command somehow.."

"Looks that way," Fujimaru agreed. Less than a minute later, Enkidu had engaged the first troops to arrive along with Aleksei. From the corner of his eye, the Russian could see his sniper taking out enemy stragglers, making him smirk slightly. So he can be somewhat useful. 

A while of bloodshed led to another victory, so everyone returned to Nero for a quick break. "Somehow we're out of danger," Nero said. "You ended up saving the day again. I'm sure it's not uncommon to be outnumbered in war, but being on the inferior side is no fun. So tiring!" She groaned. 

"No, it's not over yet, I can sense more coming!" Mash alerted. Suddenly, Jeanne's voice called out to them. 

"A servant is approaching!"

"We've detected a single servant," Romani warned. "Be careful, Mash, Fujimaru, Vasiliev!"

"Yes, I'm sensing it," Mash agreed, squinting. "It's almost... there it is!"

"My beloved younger sister's child," The servant addressed Nero, causing her to sneer. 

"Uncle! No... no, no, let me call you this now," Nero reasserted. "You fool who inexplicably lost his way, aligning with the United Empire! Caligula!"

"What did she just say?" Romani slammed his hands on the table. "Uncle? Is that what she said? And Caligula?!"

"Da Vinci's top two Roman Emperors here in the flesh," Aleksei said before nudging Fujimaru. "Ready?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" He grumbled. 

"Alright you all, this is our first Servant battle since coming to this era," The doctor reminded them. 

"Don't rush, but take everything in stride," Jeanne added.

"My actions are destiny," The servant suddenly began speaking to Nero again. "Give up your life. Give up that body. All of it. Give it up!" He roared.

"Uncle, how could you?" Nero's eyes widened. 

"Here he comes!" Mash got in front of the emperor. "It's a servant battle. Master," She looked back at Fujimaru. "You orders?!"

"Let's win!" 

The battle lasted for a while since none of Aleksei's servants pitched in to help Mash take the berserker down. Eventually though, it was definitely over. "Oh.. Oh. My beloved.. Younger sister's.. child... Why won't you.. give it to me? Why can't you give it to me?" He panted as more and more of his body faded. "My beautiful... My.. my.. my.. my..." 

"Finally," Aleksei huffed, the guy having disappeared, which made Nero furrow her eyebrows. 

"He's gone? Uncle.."

"I can no longer sense his presence. The enemy troops seem to be withdrawing as well," Mash observed. 

"..My uncle must've been the general of that battalion," Nero surmised. "I didn't think I'd ever see him again."

"Looks like he turned into a spiritual body and left, or fled rather. Good work," Romani praised. 

"No," Aleksei glared at the communicator. "That's a loose end, you idiot."

"O-oh, but still--"

"No, he's right," Fujimari said, but made sure to send a glare to his fellow master. "For once. That guy will just come back to attack us later, so this was a stalemate rather than a win."

"Uh, alright," the doctor sighed. "Anyway, it's hard to believe that he'd flee, espiecially since he's a berserker class from the looks of it. Could it be that... He has a master?"

"It's likely," Aleksei confirmed. "This United Empire sounds like the place that the Holy Grail, plus whoever is controlling the servants of this era, is gonna be."

"Conquering an empire," Iskandar hummed, nodding with a pleased look. "Yes, as expected, I've missed this."

"Uh-huh," Aleksei rolled his eyes, thinking back to the rider's daily activities back at their house, which usually consisted of drinking, playing video games, and the like. And the dude was perfectly happy with that, but Aleksei decided to not bring it up. 

"Um," Nero pursed her lips as she looked around suspiciously. 

"W-what is it?" Mash blinked. 

"There's a man around here, who can be heard but not seen. From the feel of it, maybe a mage?" She murmured, causing Romani to perk up. 

"I am glad you know of magecraft. Yes, these, uh, six! Yes, these six and myself are from an organization called Chaldea--"

"Shut it mage," Aleksei snapped, and as if the feed were affected by that, there was static for a moment before the coms came back on. 

"Sorry about that," Chulainn's cheery voice came over the line. "The doc's reflecting, so I'll be around for a bit until Medi stops giving the guy a hard time."

"It matters not," Nero regained her bearings. "You seven, no, you nine!" She raised her hand. "I'm not sure about the two with no bodies, but the seven of you fought marvelously. Yes," She smirked towards where Emiya was stationed. "I am aware of your long distance companion. At any rate, I praise you again! As you have said, I am not privy to your lineage, but at least allow me to give you mine!" 

She put her hands on her hips with a grin. "The true protector of Rome. Truly, I am Rome itself! I swear to rebuild the empire. Yes, this I swear to the gods, my ancestors, to myself, and to the people! I am Nero Claudius, fifth emperor of the Roman Empire!"

"What use is there to introducing yourself when we already knew who you are?"

"It's common courtesy, dammit!"