Nineteen: Historical Inaccuracies

"Ring of light, huh?" Romani's voice suddenly cut through the air. "As usual, we can't get a good look at it from here, but it is an intriguing phenomenon. I will continue to investigate. By the way..." The doctor trailed off as he finally got some video feed. "Is that.. Oh? Weren't you supposed to be in Rome?"

"Uh, we're in the hills," Fujimaru answered dumbly, at least in a certain someone's opinion. 

"You're right Senpai, we are in the hills," Mash agreed.

"What an astute observation."

"Don't even go there with me Aleksei," Fujimaru scowled at him, causing the Russian to shrug. 

"That's weird," Romani's voice came back through. "I confirmed it from here as well, that's not the capital. I'm sure that I fixed your teleport position... Uh," He suddenly started mumbling. "Looks like that's a suburb of the Roman capital. Was there an error in the coordinates? Is the era correct?"

"That ring of light wouldn't be there if we weren't in the right place."

"Uuuuuh...huuuuhh. The era's correct, then. Definitely the 1st Century where the singularity exists.. during the reign of Nero Claudius, fifth Emperor of Rome. That's for certain. Still, this is strange. Why are you so far from the capital? Despite the poisoning of Empress Aggripina last year, Nero in his dangerously declining years yet. An era where the emperor is loved and the city of Rome is prosperous.. that's what should have been awaiting you."

"No doctor, it's just rolling hills," Mash said. "All it needs is some sheep to complete it."

"There must be a reason for this. Do you see anything unusual in the surroundings?"

"There's a fierce battle very near here," Kotarou suddenly appeared, having disappeared to scout out the area quickly. He bowed to Aleksei, who nodded. 

"If there's a battle, there's people, and where there's people, there are answers."

"That sounded strangely astute of you," Chulainn commented from over the communicator.

"Unlike someone we know."

"Oh come on!"

"Hold on, a battle? A war, perhaps? No no no," Romani started clacking away. "Impossible, there were no full-scale wars near the Roman capital in that era. That means--"

"There's a historical anomaly," Mash answered for the doctor. "That must be it."

"Kotarou, lead the way," Aleksei instructed, so with one last bow, the assassin did as told and showed the group to the battlefield. 

"No doubt about it," Mash murmured as they finally arrived on scene. "They're in combat. One side is overwhelmingly larger than the other. The larger force wears regalia of crimson and gold. The small wears the same, but a different design."

"Crimson and gold were colors especially liked in Ancient Rome. Mash," Romani addressed, "Anything else that's distinctive?"

"...A woman," Mash said, her eyes widening slightly as she looked at the battle. "Several groups of the smaller force are being led by a young woman. She's practically taking on the enemy forces herself. The overwhelming avalanche towards the capital, all by herself," She sounded impressed. "An extremely strong individual. A servant, perhaps?"

"Nope."

"No," Aleksei and Romani spoke at the same time. "No, I'm not getting any readings on servants. You don't sense any either, do you?" The doctor checked. 

"She may not be a servant, but I do know who that is," Aleksei said before anyone else could pipe up. 

"Really?" Romani blinked. "Then who is it?"

"For some reason, history likes to turn all important historical figures into men," The Russian finger-gunned at the female figure. "That person is no different."

"Wait, then are you saying..." 

"That's Emperor Nero Claudius," Aleksei confirmed, causing several jaws to drop. "In any case, shall we engage, doctor?"

"Huh? Oh," He refocused. "Yes, please stop the emperor from being overrun!"

"Alrighty," The Russian smirked as he cracked his knuckles. "Emiya, long distance sniping."

"On it," The man disappeared. 

"Iskandar, Enkidu, with me. Kotarou, engage as you see fit. And Fujimaru," Aleksei's gaze fell on the other master for a moment. "Try to keep up." With that, the Russian and his servants went out into the fray. Iskandar laughed heartily as he swung his sword, his chariot appearing with a lightning flash. 

"Take that!" He grinned as he rode out and trampled anyone in his way, cutting down those that dodged. Enkidu was a bit less boisterous in their approach to the battle, just turning their arms into pure energy that they then used to cut through those that stood against them. 

Aleksei was more like the rider, smirking deviously as he punched holes in people and kicked holes through even more people. Eventually, the overwhelming numbers of the enemy were brought down to size. With that came their inevitable surrender. 

"Sheathe your swords! It's over. You there!" Nero yelled at Aleksei and his servants, who had been joined by Mash and Fujimaru, who had done much less. "Are you reinforcements from the capital? I thought the capital was sealed off.. But no matter, I commend you!" She smiled. "It doesn't matter if you were once my enemies. I am merciful, so past mistakes are water under the bridge. More importantly, I praise the way you fought just now. Especially you," Her eyes were trained on Mash. "For a girl to brandish a weapon larger than herself.. Umu, I must say I like you! You showed much indescribable, aberrant beauty! Very good, I shall allow you and your friends to fight by my side. Revel in the ultimate honor!"

"Oh right," Aleksei grumbled with a look of distaste. "Nero was a huge art person."

"Was? Excuse you, I AM a huge art person!" Nero snapped before going off on a tangent. "Anything of beauty, wonder and soul is worthy of being called art, and art must be judged by a true artist like myself! However, that is neither here nor there," She waved the thought off before pointing at them. "You people dress in such a strange fashion. Aren't you showing a little too much? Err," Nero trailed her eyes over Enkidu. "Aren't you a little too covered?"

"We're just passing through, thought we could lend you a hand," Aleksei changed the subject. 

"Well you had impeccable timing!" Nero said. "Mercenaries, perhaps? Or do you serve Boudica? Her moves are beyond shrewd," She cleared her throat. "At any rate, victory belongs to us. I will reward you handsomely! Oh," The emperor suddenly paused, looking down. "Sorry, I couldn't help myself just now.. You'll have to wait for your reward since I have nothing but this sword at the moment," She perked right back up after a second. "It will all be taken care of after we're back in Rome. Now then, follow me!"