06

Over the past week, I tried to avoid Rafe as much as possible. After he once again reminded me of how much I despised him for what he had done to me, I definitely didn't want to see him again.

At least not now.

The Pogues and I were growing closer each day we spent together and by now I could consider them my closest friends, ones I could always rely on.

Things were going great with JJ too. We were very flirty with each other and always had this tension between us, which I gladly indulged in. We made out a lot, and we almost got close to sleeping together, but thanks to John B, who always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, it didn't happen.

What can I say, I was really enjoying my life to the fullest.

Just as I was heading to the chateau again, I noticed Sarah's parked car next to the Twinkie. She told me this morning that she wouldn't have the car today.

Shrugging my shoulders, I passed by the cars and stormed through the front door. But what I ran into made me pause. Everyone was sitting in a circle, their heads close together, as they suddenly jerked up when they noticed me.

"What's going on, you guys?" I raised my eyebrows and studied them.

"Oh... you know... just stuff." John B shrugged, but it didn't sound convincing to me.

"Wow, not suspicious at all." I laughed, but quickly realized that no one else seemed to find it funny.

"Well... um..." JJ squinted one of his eyes and awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

"Guys, I think we should tell her." Kiara said, which made me curious. "After everything she told us about her past, it means she trusts us."

"And I always trusted Jenara. I've known her my whole life. She's a good person." Sarah remarked, smiling over at me.

Immediately, I looked at John B, who just nodded in agreement to Sarah, and I took a seat beside her.

"Nine months ago, my dad disappeared without leaving any trace." he began to tell the story, and immediately, a lump formed in my throat.

"Well, not so much 'without a trace' anymore!" JJ interjected, earning a flick on the forehead from Kiara.

"So, my dad was like so obsessed with finding the royal merchant, and he devoted his whole life to it..."

I nodded and continued listening attentively.

"And a few days ago, we found this compass, which used to be my dad's. He's not dead. This was a sign. And now, we're trying to figure out what all of this means and what it has to do with the whole royal merchant thing."

My jaw dropped immediately, and I couldn't quite grasp what John B had just told me.

"So, you're telling me you're on a treasure hunt to find the gold of the royal merchant?" I repeated, and everyone nodded.

"That's fucking crazy." I said, running my hand through my dark blonde hair.

"So, are you in?" Sarah suddenly asked, looking at me with anticipation.

"Of course I'm in!"

We spent some more time together at John B's, and they told me what they had already discovered thanks to the compass from Big John.

Unfortunately, I had to head home early as my parents had some preparations to make, and they really wanted me to be there and help them. So, I said my goodbyes to the Pogues and hopped on my bike.

I was just about to ride out of the Cut's last street when I spotted a familiar face, and he also noticed me.

"J? Is that really you?" he squinted his eyes as he approached me.

"Barry?" I asked, smiling as I saw him. He looked just the way I remembered him.

"What brings you to the Cut, apart from seeing me?" he wondered, and for a brief moment, I hesitated.

It wouldn't be smart to tell him about me and the Pogues, considering he's got a lot to do with Rafe, and I wouldn't want unnecessary drama.

"You know, I just had to pick something up for my dad." I lied, putting on a smile and showing off my tooth gems.

"Wow, these are new!" He pointed at my teeth, pushing my upper lip to see them better before giving me a quick smile to show off his gold tooth. "We're matching."

I giggled as he stepped back, trying to keep my bike steady.

"Do you still have that trailer of yours?" I asked curiously, and he nodded in response.

"Do you still smoke?" He replied with another question, and I couldn't hide my smirk anymore. "Who said I stopped?" making him smirk as well.

"A few people from the old crew are hanging out at my place tomorrow, you can join if you want."

"I'll see. You know, there's midsummers tomorrow." I explained, but I promised I'd let him know if I could make it or not.

"Well, give me a call, sweet thang." Barry winked before walking past me, and I continued riding towards figure 8.