Chapter 13: Let's Talk About Our Crushes As We Walk To Our Death

Aru kicked up flowers gilding the dirt road, sending up storms of white and blue. A scowl never left her face as she plucked the color out of the dead grass. Call her lazy, she didn't feel like fighting a war today. Or tomorrow. Or any day for that matter. Especially if it required her to get up so early.

Everyone had started trekking towards the Himalayas to reach the camp on the outskirts of the mountain and finally fight. The best of the army was stationed there, but they would need backup as they were outnumbered. So here she was lugging her backpack behind her for two days straight and being sour about the situation. One of the Maruts sidled up to Aru and tried to make small talk.

"So, you're not excited either?"

"No."

"Me too. It sucks, right?"

"Yes."

"Are you scared?"

"I dunno." She wasn't in the mood to talk and wished he would take a hint.

"Have you a girl at home?"

"No."

"I have one. Well, kind of." This took Aru by surprise and she finally faced him. She was a sucker for gossip.

"What do you mean by that?" He grinned.

"Her name is Poppy, and I may or may not have a crush on her." She decided to become silent once again, losing interest that he didn't have someone who was half ghost half human. "You see Sudip over there?" The Marut continued, pointing to a guy with a '13' on his breastplate. "He likes a girl who's in love with a girl." At this Aru's eyebrows shot up her forehead.

"Really? What's her name?"

"I believe it's Arielle." She breathed out a sigh of relief, glad it wasn't Hira or Brynne.

"And poor Arya here likes a guy whose name I believe is Burton."

"Hmm."

"My girl is thankfully not in love with anyone, but it seems as if she pointedly ignores me. My name is Rithvik by the way." 'I didn't ask!' Aru wanted to scream, but she kept her polite mask on. "She's so beautiful, with luscious black hair and ravishing cheeks. They are as red as poppies you know. Her father is very strict, but I'm sure I can win her over. Then I will finally be able to kiss her soft lips." He sighed while she held back a snort. "She's so beautiful."

"You already said that."

"Is that so? Did I also mention her cheeks?"

"Yes." Aru deadpanned. "Yes, you did."

"I can't help it. If only Poppy would notice me." At that moment, Aiden ambled over.

"Hey guys, the terrain will be changing to snow soon."

"The country is literally so sunny all day every day, no way snow is going to drop out of nowhere-" She was cut off by a pile of snow landing on her. "Shut up." Aru glared at Aiden, who was on his knees laughing. Rithvik leaned closer to her.

"I wish I was like him," He whispered, obviously talking about Aiden. "He can get any girl he wants without even trying." Just then, Aiden decided it would be the perfect time to trip and faceplant into the snow. Aru rolled her eyes and helped him up.

"I can definitely see that."

"See what?"

"Nothing!" She and the Marut said at the same time. They walked in silence, Aru occasionally stuck out her tongue to catch snowflakes. She had just grabbed another one with her mouth when an acrid taste took over and she coughed and hacked.

Immediately Aiden was by her side, purse, sorry, satchel, opened and cough drops of every flavor in his hands,

"I'll take the blue one." She said between ragged pants.

"Hold on, have some water first." He took out his canteen and had Aru swallow some. Even though her coughing fit diminished, she still insisted on taking the blue cough drop. "What exactly happened?"

"The snow is poisoned!" She glared at it but did not expect it to be actually black. "Oh shit!"

"What?" Rithvik gasped.

The three of them raced forwards, and to their horror saw their entire camp decimated. Charred flagpoles littered the ground with their flags slashed thoroughly. Tents were now bits of fabric just barely clinging to wooden rods. Fire was everywhere, hopping up every ten meters and filling the world with its acrid smoke. The best warriors they had, were dead. Taken by surprise and outnumbered ten to one thousand. Now they were the ash carried by the wind.

"No..." Aru breathed and Aiden put a hand to his mouth. Hanuman pushed past them and a piercing scream was let loose from his lips. Murmurs went through the crowd behind them.

"We won't have a chance now."

"If they couldn't beat the Sleeper, how will we?"

"Dear gods have mercy."

"He won. India shall fall and all of us with it."

A/N: It's been more than a year since I started this... welp! Tell me what y'all thought of this chapter. Peace out <3