Chapter 30

(feral, that's all I have to say)

August 18th,

                                                                      --Sebastian's POV--

Summer had always been my more favorable season. It was the only time of year when Anne, Ominis, and I spent our hours on countless adventures. We would stay up until the sun rose playing with spells or telling stories. We could pick wild berries from around Feldcroft, and even sometimes Anne would make some sort of dessert out of them.

Now, I am not only reminded of those long-gone memories, but that isn't the only reason Summer is not my favorite anymore.

The trees change from their bright green shade to their light orange and yellow pigment. The flowers begin to dry out, so does the grass, and the air drops from its alarming, high heat, to a soft, cool breeze. Reminding me of her.

The first time I met her was in the fall. When I thought I didn't care for the carved pumpkins that were scattered throughout the school and Hogsmeade, or the piles of leaves that were raked by the house elves, that feeling went away when she embodied the season.

Her eyes held the palette of colors that rested upon the mountains, and her warmth resembled the leaves on each tree.

It was during those months in the fifth year that I found myself battling the idea that she had swooned me. That finally after all of these years, a girl had finally claimed my once cold heart.

Maybe it was just the love that was making me believe this, making me reside a season with her. But as I sit here in the middle of the autumn breeze, I sense that every leaf that blows in front of me carries a small part of her. That she is the season itself. She is the warmth that people claim to have after eating or drinking anything that contains pumpkin. She is the laugh that children howl when asking for candy on the 31st of October. She is the beauty of nature when its plants begin changing colors.

Fall was approaching quickly this year. I was still expecting summer to be in full swing for at least another week or two. I wasn't complaining though, now each moment that I sat outside I could feel her presence even though she was miles away.

"Hey, Ominis?" I called out to the blonde-haired boy who sat a few feet in front of me.

"Hm?" He turned his head toward my direction.

I found it a little funny that we had a routine. Wake up, eat breakfast, sit outside for a few hours, eat lunch, read or practice spells, sit outside again, have dinner, then sleep. 

If Anne were here, she would call us old men. 

"Do you recall when I took Y/n, on that date last month?" 

"Yes, I do"

I cleared my throat, feeling the rush of uneasiness soak through my skin as I began to relive that night.

"And when we had that encounterment with that man..."

"I remember that as well, yes?"

His fingers traced over the small lengths of grass and picked at their ends. Like he was using that as a distraction during my small pauses.