Day 6: Sunset

The sunset was one of the few things he still had left of her after her departure.

The bright orange, red and yellow tones in the sky reminded him of all the memories they had together as he walked across the sandy beach, the subtle waves of the ocean crashing against his feet. His eyes were drawn to the spectacle in the horizon.

She was out there, somewhere. Maybe she was even able to see him from where she was, and possibly smiling. Or at least he was hoping she would be.

It had been almost a year, and his loneliness was taking its toll on him gradually. The lighthouse felt like a prison, which, to be fair, it used to be, and it felt like he was punishing himself.

Punishing himself for letting her go and not being able to save her from her own decisions.

Because he was drowning while she was losing herself, his memories told him. He listened.

His beard was itching his chin yet he made no effort to scratch it. His feet were hurting from walking for too long yet he felt the need to keep going. His eyes were drooping with unobtainable sleep yet he willed himself to stay awake, in hopes of her coming back to him at any given second.

It was a hope he knew was very unrealistic.

He stopped walking and kept his eyes on the sunset. Day three hundred-something of watching the sunset without her.

Sighing, he walked back up the rocky stairs and stepped inside the lighthouse. It was useless to wait for something he knew was not going to happen.