Chapter 01. A True Loves Hard Drive

A True Loves Hard Drive.

   I was being shoved deeper and deeper into the mosh pit. I was sweating and hot tears threatened to escape my eyes. Every time I tried to escape this crowd, I was shoved right back in. As I made another attempt to break away someone ran into me, knocking me off my balance. Just before I could get trampled, someone grabbed onto my wrist and dragged me out of the cramped crowd. The person held tight, and I was unable to break free. They dragged me near an almost empty corner of the room. 

   “Amie, are you ok? Amie?” Matt asked, still clamping onto my wrist. 

   “Yea- Yea, Thanks Matt,” I said, now turning my head to look him in the eyes.

   “I need you to focus, ok? Can you do that?” He looked at me, now letting my wrist go.

   “Yes, I can. Sorry. Let's get back to work,” I whipped a tear from my eye as I walked past him.

   I made my way to the stairs in the house, slipping past people. Matt, my coworker, was following close behind. I turned around to make sure we hadn’t been separated, only to be met with the chest of someone and the gagging stench of alcohol. Before I even had a chance to apologize to the boy, he grabbed my wrist and yelled, “What do you think you’re doing?”

   “I was just making sure my friend was still behind me. Can you let go?” I said firmly, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of my fear.

   “You should be a bit more careful, you know?” He drunkenly spat out, still holding my wrist.

   “I said, could you please let me go?” I firmly stated once again. I slightly tugged at his grip and to this he became more angry. 

   “Oh, you’re not going anywhere with that attitude.” He laughed.

   “She said, let her go.” Matt said in a calm tone as he came from behind me, putting his hands on my shoulders. At his touch, chills shot down my spine.

   “Who are you, her dad?” He laughed. This slight confrontation was now gaining attention as people started to notice what was going on. Soon enough, the crowd would form the sterotypical circle around us.

   “Look, we’re not trying to start anything. You just need to let go and you won’t get hurt.” Matt said, not showing a slight tint of anger. His hold on me was still firm.

   “OH, NOW YOU’RE THREATENING ME?” The teenager yelled. Startled at his sudden outrage, I flinched and Matt gave me a reasurring squeeze.

   “I need you to let go.” Matt said back, still calm. On the other hand, I was anything but calm. Although I made sure I didn’t show it.

   “Make me.” The teenager said in a mocking tone as he yanked on my arm, catching Matt off guard. The teenager grabbed my other wrist, pulling me close to him while I struggled to get free. It didn’t take Matt long to spring into action. He swiftly punched the drunk teen in the nose. The teenager let me go and writhed in pain. Matt put his arm around my waist and guided me from the situation. Once we'd left the confrontation, we continued on our way to the stairs.

   As I made my way up the steps I noticed that the 2nd floor was empty. It was one big room that had 4 doors in it. 2 on the left, another 2 on the right. I checked the rooms to the right, and Matt checked the ones to the left. I looked inside one of the rooms, and to my dismay, it was just a small closet. Inside were a few brooms and regular household items. I closed it and went onto the next door. Inside that room was a bathroom and as I was searching it, Matt called out from one of the rooms. I swiftly made my way over.