Chapter 02. Bring the Fire

Bring the Fire.

   I slowly woke up, willing to keep my eyes shut. I suddenly had my eyes wide when I felt an arm around me and a body pressed against my back. I looked down to see Matt's arm wrapped around me. My cheeks flushed as his grip tightened. Was he awake? His head suddenly burrowed into the back of my neck as he let out a sigh. I was too scared to move, to ruin the moment.

   I jumped at the sound of the door knob turning. I closed my eyes and acted as if I was asleep. The door opened and I heard Andie whisper, “liars.” She shut the door behind her and I opened my eyes again. I looked at the small clock sitting on the nightstand. It was 8:00 am. Early, but not early enough. Work started at nine and we needed to be there to turn in the hard drive and- shit. We never updated Isabell. There could be a group of agents searching for us as we sit here unharmed..

   “Matt?” I whispered, “are you uhm.. Awake?”

   I heard him stir and he mumbled something incoherent. Good, that means he’s not awake. I tried to pry his hands off of me, but his grip was firm. I was going to have to wake him anyway.

   I turned over in his arms, this disturbed his sleep only slightly. His head was now buried in my chest, so I grabbed his face and pushed it up so he was looking at me. I stared at him for a minute, Knowing that this was about to be the most embarrassing moment of my life. 

   “Matt?” I mumbled. He did not wake up. I sighed, “Matt!” I said a little louder this time. Still nothing. I took a breath in, “MATT!” I yelled.

   His eyes fluttered open and he just looked at me.

   “Can you let me go, please?” I asked, giving him a nervous smile as I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment. 

   His eyes widened and I saw the exact moment when he became coherent. He gently unraveled his arms from around me. “Sorry,” He muttered an apology, “What time is it?”

   “8:00, we need to get going. Fast. We never updated Isabell and the protocol would be to send out a search team and it's been quite a while so there's probably about 10 people looking for us as we speak.” I jumped out of bed and headed towards my neatly flooded clothes and picked them up.

   “Yes, Ma’am! I’ll change in the bathroom.” Matt picked up his clothes and walked out. I locked the door behind him and changed into my clothes from the night before. I grabbed Andies pajamas, folded them, and placed them on the dresser. I put on my shoes and opened the door. 

   I walked down the hallway, towards the kitchen. I entered to see Andie sitting cross legged on one of the arm chairs, with a mug of coffee, while watching TV. I also saw Elijah in the kitchen, spreading butter on a piece of toast. Andie stirred at the sound of my footsteps and turned around.

   “Hey, Amie!” she said in a sly-sing songy tone, “Where’s Matt?”

   “Oh, he’s getting changed. We’re about to head out.” I took a seat on the couch.

   “Want some coffee while you wait?” Elijah said from the kitchen.

   I tensed up, only responding when I knew I could trust my voice not to crack, “No thanks, Matt shouldn’t be much longer.”