Chapter 10: Sparrow's Pecking Order

As Haledon and Sparrow cut through the crowd, the corridors vibrated with anxious energy. Druids of the Astralaceae wept hysterically in collective solidarity as they tried to console each other. To them, the fleet of Astralaceaes had always been more than ships; they were the planets and moons that framed the universe beyond their small worlds. Their loss had shattered the reality of those who remained.

"Excuse me!" Sparrow bellowed as she pushed her way through an exceedingly sorrowful group. "Ugh, come on people—"

"Sparrow, they 've—we've never been through anything like this before," Haledon replied as he nodded compassionately to a few familiar faces. "Please be patient."

"It's not a topic of impatience. Mourn, but be productive."

"Let us regrow from the fire before you tax our ecosystem." He snapped at her as a sudden wave of frustration flushed through him.

She looked over her shoulder to Haledon with a smirk.

"Because that head injury somehow stoked a fire in you...sure," Sparrow said with a chuckle. "But if they are to be allowed to mourn in their innocence, other systems must work twice as hard. Do you believe you can forego your rest for their comfort? Are you willing to do so?"

Haledon followed her down the hall quietly, thinking about the offer. The sobs and cries along the corridor drew his attention as the thought took root.

"What do you say, Seral Druid?" She continued after a pregnant pause. "Are you willing to protect their innocence and the entire fleet? Are you willing to commit to a true lifetime of stewardship?"

"Yes." He replied quietly.

"Then recite to me your oath."

"Earth Care. People Care. Fair Share." Haledon returned with profound confidence in his voice.

Sparrow stopped and turned to face Haledon. She wore a look of excitement and confusion.

"What was that?" She asked as the moss around her shoulders seemed to swell with equal exuberance.

"Earth Care. People Care. Fair Share." He recited again. "They are the three tenants of our fleet. To be stewards that foster peace and unity between Humanity and Nature."

"Interesting...very interesting." She mused, crossing her arms. "Your Astra has done surprisingly well managing societal divergence from ancient Earth customs. After so many generations, there should have been some drift, but you are still as guided as the first crew. Simply fascinating."

"What—?"

"I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong. We believe in protecting the earth and its people while promoting equality—but a lot has changed while your fleet was gone...." She began to trail off.

"You said—"

Sparrow waved her hands, finishing her tangent and returning to reality. She looked to Haledon again with a curious smirk before snapping her fingers to silence him. Vines of hibiscus and stargazer lilies began to grow in the space between their feet.

"What is this?" He asked, examining the hall and the unobservant bystanders passing through.

"An initiation ceremony. Repeat after me," Sparrow cleared her throat. "I, Seral Druid Haledon of the Astralaceaes, affirm that I am a Druid of Nature. A lifetime of small changes has planted a seed at my core, which has grown full, and though I am hearty, I continue to grow as I root myself in the present and future."

Haledon listened carefully and repeated with a cautious reverence. The hall had begun to fill with curious onlookers as Sparrow continued. Her hands danced from finger to finger, leaving spindly pollen-laced webs slowly drifting to the floor.