Chapter 11: Fractaling Perspectives

"Sp-Sparrow..." Haledon stumbled over his words as he rushed through the veil after her. "Sparrow, what was that?"

Stopping in the middle of the corridor, Sparrow turned to face Haledon with a finger held high.

"The first lesson about Earth Druids is that you must display your power to get their attention." She lectured. "Mesa and I have predated on each other over many years. This was just another attempt of his to undermine me. I needed to show the other Druids that I would not compromise our balance with Nature—not out here. Not now."

"Why does he go after you?"

Sparrow turned and started to walk again with a determined pace.

"I was once in a Grove with Mesa overseeing the Greening of Venus. A Mecharrion assault happened and a conflict of interest divided the Grove, costing us time and half of the planet."

"Who was right?" Haledon asked cautiously.

"No one is right in war." She replied mournfully, her gaze lost a thousand yards away. Sparrow shook herself out of the trance. "Remember that, Haledon. War only takes life and gives sorrow."

There was a palpable silence between the two as Haledon contemplated what Sparrow had said. His eyes wandered around the corridor, eventually locking with a pair of Druids standing alert. He noticed the finely crafted crossbows that hung from their waist.

Beyond them, the ship's windows revealed Astraloideas zipping through space in a graceful dance that, for a moment, distracted Haledon from the destruction that floated along. And even further away, Megacolides still oscillated anxiously, ready for a fight.

Haledon was confused as he looked back at Sparrow.

"How—" He paused, searching for the words. "If war only takes life and gives sorrow, how do the Druids achieve peace through war?"

"Good question. I'll let you know when I figure it out." Sparrow stopped and observed her surroundings for a moment before closing her eyes. "Your guild will meet shortly, and I need something from the Colides. Meet me in the Hypogeal Nexus."

Without time to answer, Haledon watched as Sparrow bent down to the ground. Plucking a root from the floor, she lifted it above her head while her freehand traced patterns. Her visage transformed into a bramble silhouette crumbling to a humus pile on the floor.

"Sparrow?" Haledon yelled and looked around frightfully. "Sparrow!"

Reaching for the fluffy soil in a panic, he searched for evidence of the Druid. Fear and dread clouded his mind as he believed Sparrow's death had happened before his eyes. His thoughts raced with conspiracies, trying to convince the consciousness of what his eyes witnessed.

"Haledon, I am fine." He heard Sparrow's whisper as a chilling sensation kissed the back of his neck. "Now, meet me in the Hypogeal Nexus."

Haledon's eyes widened in the realization of his unnecessary panic. He inspected the corridor shyly, his arms still buried to the elbows in the compost. The two Earth Druids he had noticed earlier stared in his direction curiously as they shared a light chuckle.

Jumping to his feet, Haledon brushed off his hands with an awkward nod to the Druids. Then, without hesitation, he began to walk quickly down the hall. He could feel the warmth of embarrassment in his cheeks as a trickle of sweat raced from his temple.

He had made it through several pods before finally slowing his pace and relaxing. Haledon felt confident that he had escaped the embarrassing moment and was near the Hypogeal Nexus.

As he approached the final node, he found the hall blocked by a group of mourning Druids. Unusual sounds came from the mass, as whistles and chirps became the melodic tunes of woodwind instruments. Somewhere within the noise, a person had begun to pick at the strings of a lute. A haunting symphony came into focus, and Haledon felt compelled to stay and listen. But he pulled himself away, focusing again on his task.