Chapter 31: Tremor Before the Quake

The pain in Haledon's chest pulsed as the darkness consumed his vision. Around him, he could hear the frantic thrashing of the Mecharrion's claws against the thick bark burl that had enveloped his body. The sound of splintering chunks being ripped away grew ever-louder until a bead of light poked through the darkness.

Haledon saw the Mecharrion twisting its head as it looked into the small opening. Darkness filled the space as it inspected the cocoon before leaning back to begin its assault again. He watched as the vines of the Astralaceaes vigorously crawled over the opening, only to be ripped away with each vicious strike.

Once a hole had opened up large enough for the Mecharrion to reach through, its bladed claw again sank into Haledon's armour. But before it tore through the bark of his SOIL, a wail of surprise erupted from the beast. It withdrew its limb, and Haledon watched through the hole as its hands transformed into the long gun he had recently learned of.

There was a clap of thunder, and the Mecharrion's limbs recoiled into its body before it could fire. Vines erupted from the wall, lashing out against the obsidian beast and binding it within a constrictive burl. Haledon watched as the foliage tightened, forcing the creature to howl out metallic groans and shrieks. Then, like sand escaping through an open hand, millions of tiny metal insects crawled from the small gaps in the trap and flowed through the hole toward Haledon.

Panicking, he struggled to free his arms to defend himself as the swarm began to overtake him. Crying out, he felt them trying to crawl into his mouth, making tiny burning scrapes against his cheek with their slightest movement.

The vines around him quickly disappeared, and a figure reached a hand down into the swarm, grabbing Haledon by the SOIL. There was another panicked shriek, and he could feel the small metal insects escaping behind him, deeper into the ship.

His mind was slowly eased into a conversation. He experienced the memory of dipping a foot into the gentle, lapping waves of a lake.

"Haledon." He translated the images from Lavendar Sunrise. "Are you all right?"

"I—" Haledon huffed in a panic as he examined his cocoon. "That was—"

"A Mecharrion," They replied, "It would appear we were, yet again, incorrect. The predators are here now."

With a flick of Lavendar's wrist, vines aided Haledon's ascent with gentle support. He didn't respond to the Druid as he lifted himself from the hole.

"Was that what you were looking for at the meeting—why you were distracted?" They continued. The images flashed through Haledon's mind. Lavendar's point of view of him at the meeting and their gaze as they followed him through the grass veil only to emerge alone in the corridor. "How did you know?"

"I didn't—not until now. Thank you for saving me—were you following me?" Haledon asked.

"I wished to further our discussion. You seemed quite disturbed about a wolf—I now see why."

"I saw it in my dreams," He said before looking to Lavendar. "But then I started seeing it when I awoke after the battle."

"Tell me of your dreams. Do you dream often?" Lavendar posed their question behind the memory of a sea of stars flowing beyond Earth's horizon.

"No—not really, not until all of you showed up. Other than that, maybe once a ring."

"What does your dream tell you?"

"Sorry, I—there's a Mecharrion on the Astra." He looked back at the hole where it had disappeared. "I don't think now is a good time to discuss dreams."

"Haledon, Nature whispers to each of us differently. You shouldn't be so quick to discredit your dreams—"

"Haledon!" Gazeas yelled as she turned the corner and rushed towards him. Following behind her, Witch-Hazel, Spark and Mek-Tek charged in with their weapons drawn.