Chapter 5

Standing before the mirror in my bedroom, I let my gaze roam over the expanse of wings that were spread out behind me. Even after all this time it felt strange knowing these huge things were a part of me. It was odder still because they had changed. What had caused the change? The bright colours were almost offensive to my eyes in my glum mood. And yet they were mesmerising.

Two sharp knocks on my door startled my from my thoughts.

"Are you ready yet Miss Holmes?"

I turned my head as the owner of the firm commanding voice stepped into the room. She was a small woman but she more than made up for her slight stature with her commanding presence.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude."

I smiled and shook my head. "It's not a problem Ms Bridger."

I stroked a hand over the wings on my back, removing a feather that had come loose on my wing. It was scarlet red with the barest hint of orange on the very tip. Threads of gold, so small they were difficult to see, gave the feather a slight sparkle.

Closing my eyes, I willed my wings to slide back under the skin of my back until it was impossible to tell that they had ever been there in the first place.

"Besides, I thought I told you to call me Savannah. Miss Holmes is too formal."

 I spoke softly, watching the woman in the mirror as I slid the peplum top over my head. Its bright red colour reminded me briefly of my first day at Satani Media. I had worn red that day and my life had change irrevocably. That day felt like it had happened in another life.

"And I told you that I am your employee not your best friend. " The prim woman pushed her glasses up her nose and then looked over at me, assessing me through her thick glass. I tried not to squirm under the penetrating gaze. "It is better to keep things formal. It will allow me to do my job properly. I don't want to cause a disservice to you or your friends."

My feeling weren't hurt by the petite blonde's single minded focus. She was the best in the business – the best PR that money could buy – and Lucius had definitely given her a lot of money. I expected a high class snob to come with the high price tag but Ms Francesca Bridger was a whole world away from that.

Reaching up the woman pulled a pen from the back of her head where it had been pinned in her but before she opened her diary. Should I say my diary? The woman now organised my every move. I could almost hear Lucius' voice again as it crackled over the phone line from the other side of the world. 'You're a public figure now. You need someone to guide you through it all and to organise it all.'

It was only with pure willpower that I stopped myself from rolling my eyes.

"You're due at a local shelter in an hour to speak to those affected by the events in London." Ms Bridger reeled off, her finger moving down the page as her flitted from side to side as she read. "At four thirty, you are due at BBC Radio 1 studios for an interview. Then, at eight this evening, you are due to have dinner with the Prime Minister and a few other MPs and officials. Security will be tight on that event, they will say it's because you are meeting with the PM but be under no illusions Miss Holmes. These people fear you."

I nodded my head.

"I am well aware of how people look at me Ms Bridger." I replied, as my hands patted down my clothes. Finally happy with my look, I met her gaze as offered her a weary smile. "Sometimes I am far too aware of it."

We stood there for a few more moments in companionable silence.

Then the beeping of her phone drew us both back into the presence.