The Devil's Angel - Chapter25

Chapter 25

It took two days for Caspar to wake and another three for Binah to come back to the land of the living.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I smiled as she blinked up at me, a frown deep set between her brows and her lips pursed. I could see the cogs turning as she tried to remember.

"Did it not work? Did he live?" she croaked before falling into a fit of coughs and splutters.

I picked up the jug of water at her bedside, took great care to fill her cup and not spill a single drop and then held it to her mouth so that she could take a sip. Even as she took a long sip of water I could feel the burning question in her gaze as she stared at the side of my face.

I set the cup down at her bedside before I even attempted to address her questions.

"It worked." I answered finally. I paused before I added, "And yes, he is alive."

Binah pushed her body up on the pillows, her arms shaking under the strain. I wrapped an arm under her arms and slowly lifted her so that she could rest her back on the pillows.

"Something is wrong." She stated, her eyes watching me intently.

I hesitated but finally pushed out the words. "He lives but then he doesn't." I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "Since he has woken up, he's been different. He's disconnected from the world around him even when he appears to be completely lucid is distant."

Binah leant her head back and closed her eyes. "I never noticed it before but now," she drew in a deep breath and sighed. "It's so quiet. My mind has never been so quiet. Ever since I came into existence, since my birth, my mind has always been filled with so much chatter. It was just filled with the possibilities, the outcomes which may or may not happen. I didn't even think about the burden I would be giving to the boy."

Raising her hand, she swiped at the tear which had fallen from the corner of her eye.

"I am sorry for that." She murmured but then opened her eyes. "I am sorry that he will have to endure this but I am not sorry that I did this. It's selfish but you know, I didn't expect to survive the transfer. I thought I would just cease to exist when I gave him everything that I was."

I smiled sadly as her and took her hand. "I know." I paused and added. "Lucius knows – everything."

Binah gasped and looked up at me, her eyes wide as she shook her head.

"I had to." I stated, holding my hands up in front of me defensively. "He was like a bear with a sore head. He was walking around cussing and threating Caspar's new immortal life. He blamed Caspar for your condition. I explained to him that you had been planning it for some time. I explained it would have happened eventually even if events hadn't unfolded like they had."

Binah tried to be angry but she just sighed and slumped back on to the pillows. Her eyes were fluttering as her body fought to drag her back down into sleep. Mortality was hard and tiring especially to the newly initiated.

"Rest and get some sleep." I murmured, easing her back down on the pillows.

Binah opened her mouth to protest but her words were slurred and unintelligible. All too quickly her breathing deepened as she fell into a deep slumber.

It was the first time I had ever seen her look so peaceful. It was as if all of the strain and worries she had been carrying around for the last few centuries were suddenly gone and now she was free to live her life without the burden. Tucking the blankets in around her, I then stood up and left the room, closing the door behind me.