The Devil's Angel - Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Startling upright in my bed, I blinked sleep away as my angel sword formed in my hand. Its glow lit up my dim bedroom, crackling angrily at the perceived threat. Instinct had my heart racing and adrenaline coursing through my veins. Glancing side to side, I tried to figure out what had pulled me from my sleep so abruptly but my room was still and devoid of any other lifeforms. At least it appeared that way.

Crash. Bang.

The sounds filtered up from the floor below as someone clattered around in my kitchen.

Slipping from my bed, I tiptoed over to the door. Holding my breath, as if someone would actually be able to hear it from the floor below, I took hold of the door handle in my free hand and gently pushed down the handle. My eyes closed as the mechanism squeaked loudly under my touch. The clattering and banging paused for a moment.

I froze, the handle still in my hand, my lungs burning with the need to release my breath. I wondered idly if I could suffocate. I wasn't a normal angel nor was I a demon so maybe I could still be affected by mortal weaknesses.

"Miss Holmes, is that you?" Castiel's familiar voice drifted at the stairway.

It took a moment for his voice to register and then exhaled loudly, my eyes closing in relief. Last night's events became clear in my foggy mind and I allowed myself to relax. My sword was reluctant to leave my side, the sword hissing at me before becoming incorporeal. I shook my head. Swords protesting – would nothing remain normal?

"Yeah Cass, it's me." I croaked finally, leaning against the doorframe to prop myself up.

"I'm making breakfast. It will be ready in ten minutes."

"I'll be down in five."

Catching the scent of frying bacon, my stomach rumbled loudly. I rubbed at the ache and slipped back into my room. Grabbing a bath robe from my wardrobe, I slipped my arms into the sleeves taking a small slice of comfort from the soft fluffy red fabric against my skin.

When I finally made it down the stairs, I couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my face. In the kitchen, Castiel was created havoc and yet in the midst of it all Cass had laid out an amazing breakfast spread for us both.

Oblivious to my presence, Castiel danced around the kitchen, spatula in hand as he sang Katy Perry at the top of his lungs. It was undoubtedly the worst rendition of Roar I had ever been subjected to and yet it made my heart warm. To see him so alive when there was the possibility I would never have seen him alive again. I shuddered.

Dressed in a set of Lucius' black tracksuit bottoms and a plain white t-shirt, it was the most relaxed I had ever seen the angel look. He did a shimmy and twirl before coming to an abrupt halt when he caught me standing in the doorway. His cheeks flushed red and he quickly averted his gaze to the floor while he hid the spatula behind his back.

"Don't stop on my account."

Castiel rubbed at the back of his neck and lifted his head so he could look up at me.

"Sorry, I got a little carried away."

"Its fine Castiel, I was enjoying the show." I replied, offering him a genuine smile.

When he ducked his head once more, I quickly closed the distance between us. Reaching behind his back and I took the spatula from his grasp before setting it on the countertop. I then led the angel over to the breakfast banquet.

We both took seats at the island. Neither of us felt the need to fill the silence. Instead we made no attempt to talk as we filled out plates.

I was amazed at Cass's culinary skills. In addition to the Standard English breakfast of bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread, Castiel had also made fresh Croissants. The buttery scent was delicious.