The Devil's Angel - Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I stared at the side of her face, shock holding me still. Now? It was too soon. We hadn't even had the chance to speak to Lucius about it.

Lucius.

I glanced around but I could see no sign of him. There were too many people. There was too much happening at once.

Focusing back on the boy before her, Binah closed her eyes while her lips moved as she chanted under her breath. The words were so low that I couldn't hear them over the din that was still going on around us but I felt the magic rising in the air, old and primal as it whipped at the air around us.

My hair ruffled as if blown by the wind and then I was being forced backwards away from Binah and Caspar. Even as I was forced away from the pair, I watched as she pressed one hand over Caspar's forehead and the other slipping under his t-shirt so that she could lay it directly over the skin above his heart -her skin so dark against the chalky whiteness of his flesh. She made no attempt to staunch his wounds, just focused on the task ahead even as his blood continued to flow out from him.

Panic and guilt were foremost in my mind. Panic because time was running out and guilt because I hadn't done more to protest Caspar from this. The young man had been through enough and despite what he thought – he was still a person who needed the protection and guidance of a parent.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to keep calm and focused, deflection bullets and swords before they could come anywhere close to the pair. With every carefully calculated move that I completed, I kept an eye on the happenings just a few feet away. No one else appeared to have noticed what was happening until there was suddenly an absence of sound – like someone had pressed the mute button but the scene was still unfolding. Swords silently clashed and the battle raged on albeit a little more hesitantly.

Dark black lines and started to appear under Binah's skin, forming beautiful elegant lines which moved under the surface. They paused to form beautiful block of text in a language I couldn't read before breaking apart and starting the entire dizzying dance yet once again. It repeated the motion over and over against, spreading down from her face, down the side of her neck and beneath her clothing. I wasn't sure how far they went but I was pretty sure the markings were extensive and I could see the lines dancing over the back of her hands and over her exposed ankle.

The lines stopped moving , the visible patterns lingering just beneath the surface as Binah kept on chanting, her words the only sound I could hear. I still could not understand a single word uttered from her mouth but the cadence was enough evoke strong emotions within me. I could feel the magic on the air as the Horseman endlessly chanted to influence higher magic – magic which was so much older and greater than we were.

Then, the markings on Binah's skin started to glow. It grew brighter and became more difficult to look at. A burst of magic rippled outwards in a violent shockwave. It happened just as I took a step closer the pair in an attempt to block someone approaching from the other side of them. The powerful force picked me up off of my feet, threw me ten feet backwards so that I crashed on to the floor Binah threw back her head while her chant continued to pour from her lips. It became louder, more urgent as her lips continued to force the words out.

Forcing myself on to my hands and knees, I crawled my way across the floor, one hand in front of another only to freeze when a scream erupted from Binah's throat. It was a cream of both exhilaration and terror as a white light encompassed both her and Casper, the light erupting from the floor and disappearing on the concrete above. It hid the two of them from sight. I was sure Caspar would have been screaming too had he not been circling the drain.