Untitled Part 15

Chapter 15

The darkness hadn't even started to lessen when the tell-tale clanking of the lock disengaging echoed down the hallway. The guards were early.

I shivered and lay back down upon the floor, closing my eyes even as the heavy door creaked and groaned before swinging open. Breathing in deep, I tried to feign sleep. My foot twitched and with every stomp of booted feet down the corridor, my breath hitched within my throat at the possibilities.

My pulse picked up in anticipation – this was it.

The feet carried on past my cell to one just past mine. I squeezed my eyes closed even tighter.

"Damn it, the Doc is going to be pissed. This one's checked out." Onion breath muttered. A thud followed.

Clenching my fists together, I drew in a calming breath. Then slowly, making as little noise as possible, I pushed up onto my feet. Drawing on the strength within me, I called forth my sword so I could feel her weight within my hand but she was not fully corporeal. Even her glow was muted, like the blade knew the need for secrecy.

I shook my head. When I got out of this place I would definitely be having a few words with Lucius about this. There were still so many things that I didn't know, that I hadn't gotten a chance to know.

Creeping towards to the bars of the cell, I glanced down turned my head to the side.

The young guard was there again. His face had lost all of his colour, the gloom of the cells could not hide the greenish tinge his face had taken nor the way he flinched each time a squishy thud echoed through the air.

"Stop it." He begged, his eyes wide and horror struck as he watched the scene unfolding outside of my line of vision.

"Stop being a chicken. She's dead and doesn't even feel it. Besides, it's better this way. You wouldn't want to see what the Doc does to the dead ones." Onion breath taunted, a sick little laugh filling the space and making my own stomach churn.

"What are we going to tell the Doc?" The young guard asked, even as his bigger counterpart left the cells his wide eyes stuck upon the broken and soulless body within the cell before him.

My eyes were glued to the guard's shoes. There were dirtied, bits of flesh and gore stuck to the toe of the shoe. My stomach churned uncomfortably.

"We need to get someone else. Trust me, the Doc doesn't like you to go back empty handed unless you want to be sitting in one of the cells too." Onion breath laughed before stomping further down the hall. "Look here, fresh meat."

There were two terrified cries. I gasped – the children.

Wrapping my hand around the door to my cell, I shoved. It swung open with a squeak. Before the guards could even turn, I was already moving down the hallway, my wings sliding from my battered skin with ease though with more pain than I was used to. They wrapped protectively around my body, shielding me from the volley of tranquiliser darts which were fired my way.

They rebounded off of my wings uselessly. If only my skin was as impenetrable - maybe I could have avoided my initial capture.

Continuously moving, I opened my beautiful wings just as I got in sword's reach of the guards and opening my wings with a flourish. The young guard, who had been stood there gaping and had made no attempt to defend himself, was knocked back into the wall with a flick of my wings. He hit his head and slumped to the floor, unconscious and unaware of the batter that was just about to unfold.

Crouching down, I picked up the dart gun from where it sat on the floor and then stood slowly, my wings curled protectively around me once more. Without being to see him over the feather extensions of my body, I knew exactly where the other guard was. If it wasn't my new senses alerting me to his position, it was his overwhelming scent. The man still hadn't washed.