Chapter 7

Delilah's POV

Lucy comes running into my room and continuously pokes my arm until I acknowledge her.

"Yes, Lucy?" I ask, turning away from my phone and looking at Lucy.

"Mommy wants to talk to you," she says, running out of my room giggling.

I find my mom downstairs folding laundry.

"Lucy said you wanted to talk?" I ask quietly. I'm not sure what there is to talk about, I haven't done anything bad lately as far as I know.

"About Luke!" Lucy yells happily from where she's sitting.

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. "What about Luke?" I ask.

"I think it would be a nice idea to invite him over for dinner," my mom says, smiling.

"He's already been over for dinner once. At Thanksgiving."

"I know, but that was a long time ago. You always seem to be with him now, and I know you two are dating. I just think it would be a good idea. So we can know him more, now that he's talking and spending so much time with you."

I shrug. I don't really want Luke over for dinner with my family. It might be awkward, and he might feel really nervous. With his parents, it's different. I've known his dad for a few years, and his mom was really easy to talk to. But Luke is Luke, and my parents are my parents.

"I guess I can ask him. He'll probably say no," I tell my mom. "Is that all you wanted to talk about?"

My mom nods. "Great! He can come over tonight if he's free!"

"Okay, I'll call him right now," I tell my mom, trying to sound as excited as she does.

I call Luke, and he picks up after a few rings.

"Hey!" he says happily.

"Are you free tonight?"

"Yeah, I'm free, like, 99.9% of my life," he says laughing.

"Right. My mom wants you to come over for dinner. Only if you want to."

"Your mom?"

I realize how awkward that sounds. "Well, me too. But it's my mom's idea. She wants to get to know you better. You don't have to. I understand if you don't."

"Yeah, sure."

"Really?"

"Mm hmm. Your mom should know who you're dating! Plus, I wasn't exactly a nice guest last time. She probably doesn't like me that much right now."

I laugh. "No, she does. She just thinks you're quiet."

Luke laughs quietly. "So what time should I come over?"

"Whenever you want, I guess."

"Is now good?"

I smile. "Yeah, now is good."

"Okay, be right there."

I go tell my mom that Luke is coming, and she seems way more excited than she should be. Lucy is equally excited.

A few minutes later, Luke knocks at the door. Usually he just walks in because he knows I'm the only one home, or it's only Lucy and me. I guess he's trying to make a good impression now.

I open the door, and Luke smiles widely.

"Hey," he says, kissing me quickly.

I smile. "Hi."