Chapter 16

Luke's POV

Four days goes by quickly. 

I quit my job yesterday. I finished packing my bags this morning. We shipped all our boxes out two days ago. I'm actually leaving. Today is the day I leave behind everything I've grown to love.

I kind of always knew I would never be staying in Maine permanently. It was only a temporary thing. I did not think the circumstances would be this way though or that I would have to leave so soon. I didn't expect to fall in love and have to leave the person that makes me happiest. I didn't expect any of this to happen.

I've spent almost every second of every last day with Delilah. I don't want to leave her. I don't want to leave Lucy or Ashton or Michael or anyone here. I'm scared to see what's waiting for me at home.

"Are you all set?" my dad asks, walking into my room.

I take one last look around the room I once hated and make sure I'm not forgetting anything. Delilah is sitting on my bed, looking down at the floor.

"All set," I tell him quietly.

I grab my bags, and Delilah follows me slowly out of the house. Ashton and Michael are waiting in the driveway. Lucy is with them too, standing in between both of them while holding a teddy bear. 

I told Ashton and Michael that I was leaving two days ago. Ashton tried to assure me that everything would be okay and Michael sat silently after I told them everything. Ashton has always been so positive, even right now he's smiling a little. But I can see the sadness in his eyes, and Michael looks like he barely slept. We have no idea when we'll all be together again. This could be the last time we see one another for a long time.

We all get into the car, with Michael and Ashton in the very back and Lucy, Delilah, and me in the middle. Lucy sits quietly, playing with her teddy bear. Delilah holds tightly onto my hand as my dad starts driving to the airport. No one is saying anything. I don't think any of us really know what to say. Having a normal conversation wouldn't feel right.

"Luke?" Lucy whispers, looking up at me after a few minutes.

"Yeah?"

"Are you and Lila gonna breakup?" 

"No," I tell her quietly. I look over at Delilah, who looks like she's trying not to cry. I squeeze her hand quickly.

"Okay, good. That would be sad. Then I couldn't be the flower girl at your wedding."

I laugh a little. "You don't need to worry about that."

I play with Delilah's fingers while our hands are intertwined. She leans her head on my shoulder lightly and kisses my cheek.

Ashton speaks up from the back, "I feel bad that you guys have to be long distance now. You both make each other so happy."

Michael slaps Ashtons arm. "You c-can't just s-say something l-like th-that right n-now!"

"Sorry," Ashton says. "But it's true."

Delilah smiles and turns around. "We'll still make each other happy."

"Good, because I can't deal with all my friends being sad," Ashton says.

"What does leg distance mean?" Lucy asks.

"It's long distance. It means they'll be really far away from each other," Ashton says.

"Oh. Okay," Lucy responds, still seeming confused.

We get to the airport half an hour later. We got here earlier than needed, because we knew it would take awhile to say our final goodbyes. 

Ashton gets out of the car and gives me a big hug. "I'll miss you. Even though we both hated each other when we first met, you're one of my best friends. I hope everything is okay at home."