Chapter 24

Delilah's POV

"Guys, what movie should we watch?" Ashton asks, sitting on the couch and going through Netflix.

"We always watch movies," Ally says. Michael nods in agreement and pulls Ally closer to him.

"Then what do you suggest?" Ashton asks, putting the remote down.

Ally shrugs.

"Delilah, anything you wanna do?" Ashton asks.

I shrug. "I don't care."

"Emma, what about you?" Ashton says, turning to his girlfriend, or almost girlfriend. I'm not really sure what they are yet. She just started to hangout with us a few weeks ago.

"I'm fine with a movie," she says.

"Movie it is then, since no one has any better ideas," Ashton says. 

Ally laughs as Ashton presses play on one of the movies.

Ashton reaches for Emma's hand and she smiles. Michael puts his arm around Ally.

I'm sitting in a bean bag chair. Alone.

I thought things wouldn't be too different without Luke. But the longer he's not here, the more things seem to change. I'm the only one in our friend group that doesn't have someone with me whenever we hangout. I'm like the fifth wheel every where we go. Michael has Ally, Ashton has Emma. I have Luke, but he's halfway across the world.

A few minutes into the movie, no one is even paying any attention. I can hear Ashton whispering to Emma and Michael making Ally laugh. I'm just sitting on my phone.

This is how it's going to continue to be, and I can't do anything about it. In two months, I'll be with Luke and all this will be worth it. I just hope he's doing okay. I haven't heard from him in awhile. Every time I've called, he hasn't picked up, and whenever he's called me, I haven't picked up. We just keep returning each others calls, but we're getting nowhere.

The movie mentions prom and Ashton pauses the movie.

"Guys, we're all going to prom, right?" Ashton asks.

Michael and Ally nod. I shrug.

Michael notices me shrug. "D-Delilah, do y-you have a d-date?" Michael asks quietly.

"The only date I'd want isn't here," I tell him. "But it's okay, I'll still go."

Luke and I never really talked about prom, since we didn't start dating until a few months ago. It would've been nice to go to prom with him, but that can't happen now. At least I went to the snow ball with him, and that went well. Besides his anxiety for some of it, it ended up being a good night. Prom would have been even better. 

Ashton frowns. "Del, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine. I'm okay with it."

"Oh, yeah, Ashton told me your boyfriend lives in Australia," Emma says.

I nod. 

"How'd you guys meet? Over the internet?" Emma asks.

I laugh. "No, his dad lives down the street. Well, he's in Australia right now too. But Luke lived here for a few months."

"Oh, that's nice! Does he spend a few months with each parent? Are they divorced?"

"Something like that," I tell her, not wanting to explain everything.

Ashton clears his throat. "Have you heard from him lately?"

"It's been over a week."

"H-How's his m-mom?" Michael asks.