Chapter 21

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END!!! :)

Delilah's POV

It's been over two weeks since Luke left. It's so hard not seeing his blue eyes everyday or holding his hands or hearing his voice in person. Sometimes I feel like this is all a bad dream, and he'll come walking into my bedroom to tell me something. But he's not here, and he's not going to be anytime soon. I'm afraid that after awhile, he'll start fading and we'll forget what it's like to actually be with each other.

I haven't actually spoken to him in a few days. It's hard to find a time we can call or video chat since the time difference is so large. Especially since I'm in school, I can't just call him whenever I want to. Right now, it's too early in Australia, and I'm about to go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to call him. Out of all the places for Luke to live, he has to be across the world. 

Sometimes, my heart physically aches when I think about Luke. It hasn't even been that long. I'm starting to truly understand what it was like for him to miss Delia so much. I know I'll see him again in a few months, but it still hurts. He had to deal with knowing he'd never see her again. It must have been a thousand times worse than what I'm feeling right now.

Suddenly, I hear quiet footsteps walking towards my room and my door slowly opens.

"Lila?" I hear Lucy whisper softly. She sounds like she's been crying.

I sit up in bed. I can see Lucy's tiny silhouette in my door frame. 

"What's wrong?" I ask, turning on the light in my room. "Why aren't you asleep?"

Lucy rubs her eyes and walks over to my bed. She's dragging one of her stuffed animals on the ground as she walks. She looks exhausted and her cheeks are rosy from crying.

"I miss Lukey," she tells me sadly.

I sigh. "I do too."

I pick her up and sit her on my bed beside me. She hugs her stuffed animal close to her and lies down onto my lap, quietly sniffing.

"When does he come back from vacation?" she asks.

"He's not on vacation, remember? He's back at his house in Australia with his mom."

"Oh, yeah. How long will he stay there?"

"He's not sure."

"I hope he comes back really, really soon. He's over here and I'm over here," she says, spreading her hands far apart, "and I don't like it one bit." She sniffs and rolls around in my lap.

"I know. I miss him too."

"Can I talk to him?" she says, her voice barely audible.

"It's really early where he is," I tell her. She grasps onto two of my fingers with her small hand.

"Please," she begs. She looks up at me with wide, pleading eyes. Her bottom lip starts quivering, and I'm pretty sure she's about to start crying again.

"Okay, I'll try. But I can't promise he'll pick up."

I dial Luke's number, but I highly doubt he'll pick up. It's really early in the morning, so he's definitely still asleep. To my surprise, he picks up after a few rings.

"Hello?" he says, his voice quiet and raspy.

"Hey, sorry for waking you up," I tell him. I can hear him sit up in bed.

"No, it's fine. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Well, no. Lucy is crying and really wants to talk to you."

"Aww, Lucy. Of course I'll talk to her."

"Okay, I'm giving her the phone now."

Lucy squirms and sits up, anxiously taking my phone from me. She holds it up to her ear and smiles as Luke starts to talk. I can hear him faintly since Lucy is so close to me.

"Hi, Lukey," Lucy says, already happier.

"Hey, Lucy! Why are you sad? What's wrong?"

"I miss you," she pouts.

"I miss you too!"

"I haven't seen you in forever and ever."

"It's only been two weeks, silly!" He's trying to cheer her up and it's working. She's already much happier.

"Really? It feels like forever."

"I know. But guess what?"

"What?" 

"Even though we're really far, if you shut your eyes really tight and think about me, it'll almost be like I'm there."

"I'm closing my eyes right now." She quickly squeezes her eyes shut and squishes her face together. "I'm thinking very hard too."

"Okay, I'll close my eyes too." I can hear him laugh lightly.

"I see you!" Lucy exclaims excitedly.

"Awesome! Now just remember all the fun times we've had and you won't miss me as much."

"Like when we made a snowman, and you talked for the first time, and when you got me balloons for my birthday!" Lucy says excitedly. She's smiling widely now and is no longer crying.

"Right! Now is everything all better?"

"Mmm hmm. I'm okay now."

Luke and Lucy talk for a few more minutes. He asks how preschool is doing and if it's snowed anymore. Lucy tells him she hasn't made anymore snowmen without himThe bond between Lucy and Luke has always amazed me. I can't think of many teenage boys who would willingly talk to a four-year-old when they could be sleeping. Lucy has helped Luke overcome a lot, which I'm very thankful for. Without her, Luke may not even be talking right now.

After a few minutes, Lucy starts getting really tired and continuously yawns. "I'm really sleepy, I'm gonna go back to bed. Night-night."

"Goodnight, Lucy," Luke says.

Lucy hands me my phone and kisses my cheek gently.

"Night, Lila," she says. "Thanks for letting me talk to Lukey."

She jumps down from my bed and begins to walk out of my room. She stops in the doorway and turns around.

"Can you tuck me in?" she asks me.

I nod. "I'll be there in a second, okay?"

Lucy nods and heads to her room.

"Are you still there?" I ask Luke, hoping he didn't hangup.

"Still here." He yawns quietly.

"Thanks for talking to her. She never would have fallen asleep if you hadn't picked up the phone."

"That's what I'm here for. So are you okay? Everything's alright?"

"Yeah. Still missing you."

"Just a few more months and you'll be here."

"A few months too long."

Luke laughs. "We'll be fine. I promise. I'm gonna go back to sleep, you should go to bed too. We can talk later. I love you."

"I love you, too."

so cute i love lucy

I have merch now! If you go on eBay and search "singsongash" (which is my twitter if you were confused lol) you'll find my t-shirts that I designed and pens! it's very reliable, don't worry. I have all the products so they'll be directly sent to you from me! it's a perfect christmas gift :) I hope you love them!

-ashley