Chapter 15

Luke's POV

Shortly after ending the call with Calum, I start working towards Delilah's house. I have four days to say goodbye, and I want to spend every last second with her. I need to tell her as soon as possible that I'm leaving.

I feel like I'm in a daze. I'm walking to Delilah's house, but my mind isn't fully connected. I'm just there. I'm going through the motions of walking and getting myself to Delilah's, but I'm paying no attention to anything. My mind is racing and hazy with confusion and frustration and sadness. It's how I used to feel all the time. I hate feeling this way, I haven't been like this in awhile. 

I frantically rub my eyes to get rid of all the tears, which is just making my face more red and blotchy. I have no idea how to tell her or how to even handle the conversation. I'm so nervous that she won't want a long distance relationship, or maybe after awhile we won't be able to deal with being apart. There's so many things that could ruin our relationship. Everything was going so well. Now I feel like my life is at a sudden halt.

I get to Delilah's house and quickly walk inside like I've done almost every day, but this time I'm trying to avoid the rest of her family. I quickly say hi to her mom without looking at her so she can't see how much I've been crying. I head into Delilah's room and stop at her doorway.

"Hey, how did it- Oh, no. What happened?" Delilah asks quietly, walking over to me and cupping my face with her hands. She instantly notices that something is wrong, like always.

I shake my head and close my eyes tightly, trying not to cry. "Not good."

She closes her bedroom door, and we sit on her bed. She reaches for my hands and rubs small circles on the top of my thumb to try to relax me. I stare at the seam in her blanket and chew on the inside of my cheek.

"I have to go," I whisper. I don't know what to say.

"What? Where?" she asks quietly. She sounds confused.

"I have to go back to Australia. I leave Tuesday," I mumble.

I still haven't looked at Delilah. I don't want to see the disappoint on her face.

Delilah drops my hands and hugs her legs close to her. 

"Please say something," I say almost inaudibly.

I finally look up at her. Her eyes are welling up with tears and her face is blank. She's nervously biting her nails, so I reach for her hand to bring it down.

Delilah opens her mouth to talk, and then shuts it again. She takes a deep breath and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

"How long will you be gone?" she asks.

"I have no idea. Maybe a few months. Are you mad?"

She smiles a little, but not a genuine smile. I can tell she's unhappy. "Of course I'm not mad, it's not your fault. You can't control all of this. I understand."

She squeezes my hand lightly and wipes her eyes.

"What does this mean for us? Are you okay with a long distance relationship?" I ask nervously. I'm not sure I want to know her answer.

Delilah doesn't hesitate like I thought she would. "For you, I will do anything. Even if it means being across the world."

I feel better hearing her say that. I hug her tightly, and she leans her head on my shoulder.

"Does anyone else know?" she asks.

"Just you and Cal," I tell her, kissing the top of her head.