•[14-Mobius]•

[For those wondering, yes, Sal is non-binary and uses he/they pronouns. Does it affect the story, not in the slightest. Just wanted to clear that up.]

Alex's P.O.V.

It's been two weeks since the incident at the lair. Since then I've been cooped up in my workshop, designing and tinkering around with new inventions, while refining a few at the same time. Sure, I wasn't allowed in here as much as I would normally be, on the count of my parents grounding me for sneaking out to Dr. Robottnik's lair and coming back with an injury, but I've been making the most of my time down here.

I let out a tired breath, wiping away a bit of the sweat dripping down my face. I've been tinkering for a little over an hour at this point with a new invention. It's not quite finished yet, but it's close to completion. But as I finish connecting a few wires and tightening a few screws, I hear the door to my workshop slide open and a pair of quick little feet dashing toward me. I quickly turn around and find the blue hedgehog standing right in the middle of the room.

"Mornin' Alex."

I shoot him a surprised look.

"...Wha- how did you get into my workshop???"

"You left your keys on the nightstand." Sonic says tingling them in his fingers. I slap my forehead.

"Damnit. I knew I was forgetting something." I sigh. "Whatever. Did you close the door at least?"

"Yup." Sonic nods, tossing me my keys. I catch them and stuff them into my pocket before turning back to the invention I was just busy with. Sonic Dashes next to me, peeking at the gadget.

"Oooh, what's that?" 

"This?" I smirk. "This, my spiky blue friend, is a device that will allow me to see into the far reaches of the galaxy."

Sonic puts on a confused expression. "Looks like a regular old tablet to me. Only a little more...bulky." He says, arms crossed. I groan.

"This isn't any normal tablet, Sonic. I mean, it started out as a regular tablet, but after last week, it got a few upgrades." I explain. Sonic tilts his head.

"What does it do?"

"I'm glad you asked."

With that, I finish the last of the wires and shut the compartment at the back, before getting up and grabbing one of the blueprints from the shelf. I move the tablet aside and lay out the blueprint for Sonic to see.

"Wow..." Sonic mutters. "This looks...really complicated."

"It's not. Well, not as complex as you may think." I say. "After we snagged the chaos emeralds two weeks ago, I've been coming up with a few ways to connect to some of our satellites and see out into the galaxy, but none of them could really go out farther than our solar system. So, I decided to give one of my dad's friends a call."

"How would that help?" He asks.

Well, Sal actually works at NASA-"

"What's NASA?"

"It's an association where people explore space, collect minerals from other planets and train people to be astronauts." I explain.

"Oooh."

"Anyway, I called Sal, and they agreed to help me out with the dilemma."

"And how did they do that?" Sonic asks.

"Sal took me to one of the computers that's connected to the furthest satellite that NASA sent to explore the Milky Way. And the data that it recorded was incredible. Countless stars, asteroids and comets, new constellations, metric tons of ice floating around-"