Chapter 1

"Every journey begins with a single step, and in that step lies the promise of adventure." - Jade Maki

Chapter 1 - New Family, New Home

-+-

As Lydia sat on the train, the gentle sway of the carriage and the rhythmic clacking of the tracks beneath provided a soothing backdrop to her thoughts. Glancing up from her book, she caught sight of Anne, her face illuminated by the soft light filtering through the window. Anne's eyes were alight with wonder as she gazed out at the passing scenery, taking in the lush green fields and quaint villages that dotted the landscape.

They were on their way to Avonlea, a village nestled on Prince Edward Island, where her new family, the Barrys, awaited her. The prospect of starting afresh in a new home both excited and unsettled her. While she longed for the stability and sense of belonging that a family could provide, the uncertainty of what lay ahead weighed heavily on her mind.

As she reflected on the circumstances that led her to this point, a pang of resentment stirred within her. The Barrys' decision to adopt a child, while undoubtedly well-intentioned, felt like a mere display of their privilege and status. In their world of upper-class comforts and societal expectations, adopting a child from less fortunate circumstances was perhaps seen as a noble gesture, a way to showcase their benevolence to the world.

But for her, it was hard to shake the feeling of being viewed as a charity case, a token of their generosity to be paraded around like some kind of trophy. The thought of being taken in by people who viewed her as nothing more than a project to be molded into their idea of a well-behaved, respectable child left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Turning her attention back to her book, she tried to distract herself from the simmering anger that threatened to consume her. But then, the sound of a baby's cries pierced the air, jolting her out of her thoughts. Instinctively, she looked up at Anne, her worry evident in the furrow of her brow.

Anne's past was shrouded in mystery, with only glimpses of the pain and hardship she had endured peeking through her typically cheerful demeanor. Though Anne never spoke of it in great detail, she could sense the weight of her past bearing down on her, a silent burden Anne carried with grace and resilience.

As the train continued its journey, her thoughts inevitably drifted back to her past, a turbulent narrative she had kept largely hidden from Anne. Growing up in the rugged terrain of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta had been far from idyllic. It was a harsh existence, marked by poverty, instability, and the constant struggle to survive.

She had chosen to shield Anne from the darker chapter of her history, fearing that revealing too much would only burden her with worries she didn't need. But as she felt Anne's hand in hers, a silent gesture of solidarity, she couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt for keeping her in the dark.