Chapter 13

"In the quiet that followed, our bond was a beacon in the darkness, a reminder that some connections, once formed, are never truly broken

"In the quiet that followed, our bond was a beacon in the darkness, a reminder that some connections, once formed, are never truly broken." - Clara Fox

Chapter 13 - Under the Veil of Starlight

-+-

The calm morning was illuminated only by the soft glow of the morning sun filtering through the window, and a sense of calm began to settle over the trio. Lydia and Ruby shared the bed, while Anne made herself a makeshift bed on the floor, close enough to offer comfort and companionship. The air was thick with the aftermath of the day's events, and Ruby's quiet sobs punctuated the silence, each one echoing the loss and upheaval she had endured.

Lydia, lying beside Ruby, felt a deep empathy towards the girl. Her heart ached at Ruby's distress, wishing she could do more to ease her pain. Meanwhile, Anne, ever the storyteller, sensed an opportunity to offer solace through the magic of her imagination.

"My first night here in this room, I cried as you do now," Anne began, her voice soft but filled with an earnest warmth. She propped herself up on her elbows to better engage with her friend and the other girl. "Try as I might, there was no hope for my imagination that cold night. Princess Cordelia and Princess Charlotte were nowhere to be found."

"Princess Cordelia and Charlotte?" Ruby sniffled, her interest piqued despite her tears.

Anne's eyes sparkled with the chance to weave her tale. "Yes, Princess Cordelia is wise and solitary, a traveler through many tales, and Princess Charlotte is kind and shy. They both don magnificent gowns of silk and velvet, adorned with puff sleeves and ever so many flounces. One day, they arrived at the most splendid kingdom in the world. New and alone, Cordelia and Charlotte feared no one would accept them."

As Anne painted the picture of these two princesses, her gaze drifted towards the window, lost in her narrative. Ruby, momentarily distracted from her sorrow, hiccupped. "But all my dresses will be ruined from the smoke!" she lamented, the practicality of her situation pulling her back to reality.

Lydia turned her gaze from Anne to Ruby, her heart going out to her. The kindness that had been shown to her by Anne and now Marilla filled her with a desire to extend the same warmth and inclusiveness.

"You can borrow one of mine. I have two!" Anne offered eagerly, her eyes bright with the solution.

"Me too!" Lydia chimed in, her voice gentle yet firm, reinforcing the bond of friendship and support that had been forged among them under the most unusual circumstances.

"A week isn't that long when you plan out all the things you want to do," Anne mused, her voice a soft melody in the quiet of the room. "Maybe you could start by imagining what color you want your room to be. I know for a fact that it's good to have things to look forward to. I've always been partial to Robin's egg blue. What color do you like?" She smiled encouragingly at Ruby, her eyes gleaming with the joy of planning and imagining a better future.