Chapter 3

"Underneath the moon's gentle glow, amidst whispers of running water, friendships are forged with solemn vows, binding hearts for eternity

"Underneath the moon's gentle glow, amidst whispers of running water, friendships are forged with solemn vows, binding hearts for eternity."

- Isabella Wood.

Chapter 3 - Reunion at Barry Manor

-+-

As Lydia stood outside with Diana, Minnie May, and her new mother, awaiting the arrival of the Cuthberts, she couldn't help but feel a mixture of excitement and apprehension stirring within her. The sun hung high in the sky, casting a warm glow over the sprawling estate grounds, yet Lydia's thoughts were consumed by the imminent meeting with Anne and her new guardians.

A soft sigh escaped her lips, barely audible amidst the chatter of anticipation around her. Her gaze scans the horizon, searching for any sign of Anne's familiar figure. And then, she saw them—a young girl with fiery red hair walking alongside an older woman, their silhouettes distinct against the backdrop of the sunlit path.

Lydia's heart quickened at the sight of her dear friend, her lips curling into a smile as Anne drew nearer. Without a second thought, she broke into a run, heedless of the calls from her new mother and Diana echoing behind her. With every step, anticipation bubbled within her, driving her forward until she reached Anne's side.

Without hesitation, Lydia threw her arms around Anne in a tight embrace, a smile spreading across her face as she felt Anne's surprised but warm response. The two girls laughed and reveled in the joy of being reunited once again.

But as Lydia turned towards her new family, she noticed a flicker of disapproval on her new mother's face. A blush of embarrassment washed over her as she realized she had perhaps was too forward in her greeting. She quickly grabbed Anne's hand, eager to include her, in the circle of her new family.

As they approached, Miss Cuthbert's surprise was evident. She had heard rumors of the Barrys adopting a child, but she had never expected it to be a girl, let alone one so closely acquainted with Anne. Mrs. Barry stepped forward to greet Miss Cuthbert with a forced smile.

"Good afternoon, Miss Cuthbert," Mrs. Barry greeted, her voice carrying a tone of forced welcome.

"Afternoon, Mrs. Barry," Miss Cuthbert replied politely, acknowledging Lydia's new mother.

"Please, call me Eliza," Mrs. Barry insisted with a fake smile. "And this must be Anne."

Lydia felt a surge of pride as Mrs. Barry addressed Anne, her dear friend, by name. She released Anne's hand and stood by her new siblings, eager to introduce them to her cherished companion.

"Good afternoon," Diana chimed in, extending a friendly greeting.

Anne nodded her head in acknowledgment, her gaze sweeping over the faces of Lydia's new family members. Diana nudged Minnie May, encouraging her to join in the exchange.