Chapter 5

"Friendship, like the immensity of the stars, shines brightest in the darkest of times

"Friendship, like the immensity of the stars, shines brightest in the darkest of times." - Clara Fox

Chapter 5 - Shadows and Light at the Summer Picnic

-+-

The late afternoon sun bathed the field in a golden glow, casting long shadows as Lydia, Diana, and Anne ran through the tall grasses that swayed gently in the breeze. Laughter bubbled up from within them, carried away on the wind as they raced each other, their footsteps leaving imprints in the soft earth. For Lydia, the joy of having Anne back home with the Cuthberts was palpable. Her heart felt lighter, her steps more buoyant, now that her best friend had returned.

As they slowed their pace to a leisurely walk, Diana spoke up, her voice filled with admiration for Anne's resourcefulness. "You're so smart, Anne," she said, a hint of awe coloring her words. "I never would have thought to sell poems for train fare."

Anne's cheeks flushed with pleasure at Diana's compliment, her eyes sparkling with pride. "It was nothing, really," she replied modestly, though inwardly she couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction at having found a solution to her predicament.

Diana's smile widened as she glanced around at the familiar surroundings, her excitement palpable. "And you're home just in time for the church picnic," she exclaimed, her voice filled with anticipation. "Did I tell you we're hosting it here?"

Anne's eyes widened in delight at the news, her heart swelling with gratitude for the warm welcome she had received from the Cuthberts. "No, you didn't," she replied, her voice tinged with excitement. "That's wonderful news, Diana! I can't think of a better way to celebrate being home."

Diana reached out, placing her hand gently on Anne's shoulder, a silent gesture of friendship and support. "We're really glad you're back, Anne," she said earnestly, her eyes meeting Anne's with warmth and sincerity. "Especially Lydia," she added with a playful giggle.

Lydia grinned at the mention of her name, her heart overflowing with happiness at the sight of her adopted sister and best friend standing beside her.

"Well, you and Lydia are the only two," Anne remarked, her tone tinged with a hint of bitterness. "Well, Matthew seems to be, but he must have talked her into it."

Lydia let out a weary sigh, feeling the weight of Anne's words settle heavily upon her shoulders. She exchanged a glance with Diana.

"Don't say that kind of thing, Anne," Lydia scolded gently, her voice carrying a note of reproach. She couldn't bear to see her friend dwelling on such negative thoughts, especially when they were likely unfounded.

Diana nodded in agreement, her expression mirroring Lydia's concern. "I'm sure it's not true," she added, her voice filled with reassurance. Diana had always been the voice of reason among them, her unwavering faith in the goodness of others serving as a source of comfort in times of doubt.