Chapter 7

"Life is full of mysteries waiting to be uncovered, just like Mr

"Life is full of mysteries waiting to be uncovered, just like Mr. Phillips' elusive pet mouse." - Celia Fox

Chapter 7 - Whispers and Wonders

-+-

As the morning sun streamed through the schoolhouse windows, casting long shadows on the wooden floor, two boys approached Lydia, Anne, and Diana, who were standing a little apart from the rest of the students. Diana had a firm grip on Anne's arm, her gaze shifting cautiously between the newcomers and her friends.

"I'm Moody Spurgeon," announced one of the boys, his voice carrying a mix of eagerness and nervousness typical of new introductions.

Anne, always ready to meet new people, responded with her characteristic warmth. "I'm Anne, and this is Lydia," she said, gesturing towards Lydia with a friendly smile.

Diana, feeling the need to clarify the relationship further, added, "Lydia is my adopted sister," ensuring the boys understood the familial bond she shared with Lydia.

The other boy, with a shy but genuine smile, introduced himself. "I'm Charlie," he said.

"Charlie Sloane," Diana interjected, perhaps to add a bit of context or maybe to imply something more about Charlie's reputation or character.

"Happy to meet you," Anne replied, her smile never wavering, embodying the kindness and openness she was known for.

Lydia, who had been more reserved, finally spoke up, "Nice to meet you too," her voice soft but friendly, indicating her willingness to make new acquaintances despite any initial reservations.

Sensing a teaching moment, or perhaps to inject a bit of her humor into the situation, Diana leaned closer to Lydia and Anne. With a conspiratorial whisper meant only for their ears, she advised, "Don't talk to the boys," adding with a hint of playful disdain, "They're ridiculous."

"Nice to see you, too, Diana," he said, his smirk widening as he casually draped an arm around Moody Spurgeon's shoulder. Moody, ever the playful spirit, shrugged it off with a chuckle, a simple gesture that hinted at the easy camaraderie between the boys.

Diana, unfazed by the boys' antics, turned her attention back to Lydia and Anne, her voice dropping to a whisper as she shared a piece of insider information. "All except Gilbert Blythe," she said, a grin playing on her lips. "He's dreamy, but he won't be here today." Her words sparked a flicker of interest in Lydia, who found herself curious about this Gilbert Blythe, a boy who had already become a topic of whispered conversations even in his absence.

As they stood there, a group of girls approached, their steps measured and their expressions a mix of curiosity and scrutiny. Diana, ever the gracious host, introduced Anne to them. "This is Jane Andrews, Josie Pye, Ruby Gillis, and Tillie Boulter," she said, gesturing towards each girl in turn. "Everybody, this is Anne."