The things we have lost

We hurried through the corridors, down many flights of stairs, and onto the courtyard, where many students and teachers fought for their lives. It hurt, not being able to help. Ultimately, we could stop him, but we may not be in time to save the people putting their lives on the line for me and Harry.

I rushed past the fighting witches and wizards towards the bridge that led to the boat house.

Unknown POV:

Snape got word that the Dark Lord had requested he joined him in the boat house. Snape had slipped away from the battle and made his way to the lake. As he entered, he saw Voldemort standing on one of the docks.

"You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my Lord, In the last few hours alone." Snape said as the Dark Lord turned to him. "No. No," Voldemort muttered. "I am extraordinary. But the wand resists me." Voldemort hissed.

There was a short silence as Snape observed him. Just behind him, separated by a thin glass wall, (Y/N) and her friends had snuck in and were now listening to their conversation.

"There is no wand more powerful. Olivander himself has said it." Snape said. "Tonight, when the boy and girl come, it will not fail you, I am sure of it." Snape continued. "It answers to you, and you only." Snape finished.

Voldemort observed Snape, trying to find a trace that told him Snape was lying. But throughout his lonely years, Snape had become very good at lying. "Does it?" Voldemort whispered. "My Lord?" Snape questioned.

Voldemort slowly stepped past Snape. "The wand, does it truly answer me?" He asked. Snape turned to look Voldemort in the eye. "You're a clever man, Severus. Surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?" Voldemort asked him again. "With you. Of course, my Lord." Snape answered.

Voldemort strayed from him, only to turn and face Snape again. "The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly, because I am not its true master. The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner," The Dark Lord stepped closer to Snape. "You killed Dumbledore, Severus. While you live, the Elder Wand cannot truly be mine." Voldemort stated.

"You've been a good and faithful servant, Severus. But only I can live forever." Voldemort told him. "My Lord.." Snape began, but he could not finish as Voldemort slit his throat. Snape took a deep breath and slowly fell to the floor.

"Nagini, kill." Voldemort ordered. Nagini coiled herself, ready to strike. The snake snapped multiple times toward Snape's neck, continuing until she was sure the Headmaster would not survive.

As the body of Snape slammed against the wall time after time, (Y/N) had to be held by Daniel so she would not do anything drastic. She cried silently as she had to hear one of her favorite teachers be killed.

After a few more agonizing seconds, Nagini stopped attacking. Now only the painful gasps from Snape could be heard. Voldemort touched Nagini's head, and they Apparated away.

(Y/N) POV:

After Voldemort Apparated away, I jumped up from where I was kneeling and rushed to Severus' side. The sight of him was dreadful. His neck and chest were covered in his blood and he was taking shaking breaths.

I kneeled down next to him and tried to somewhat stop the bleeding by pressing my hand to his wounded neck. He silently looked me in the eyes. "Please," I begged. "You cannot go yet." I cried. Tears were falling from my eyes, but Snape was crying too. "Take it," He begged. "Take it up, please." He said while pointing at his tears.