Finally free

Harry and I rushed towards the open doors of the castle. Mr. Shacklebolt and Arthur held our backs as Death Eaters fired their spells at us. In a rush of bravery, Neville rushed forward, the sword of Gryffindor heaved above his head. But the blade did not protect him as he got hit by the levitation charm, sending him flying.

Voldemort rushed forward, along with the remaining Death Eaters. But for some reason, which I guessed was to keep Nagini safe, Voldemort Apparated away with her. I had no idea where he had gone, so I had to get Harry and I to a spot where we couldn't be surprised.

I pulled him into a hallway, away from everyone else. It was us he was after. I was confident the students could handle a couple of Death Eaters. I had my wand outstretched as we walked through the hallway. I was facing forward, while Harry looked behind us.

It was strangely silent in the hallway. Banging was heard in the distance, but no fighting was close to us. Harry grabbed my arm to stop me from walking away. I turned to look at him. He pulled something out of his pocket. It was a Basilisk's fang. "I got it from Hermoine." He said. Seeing the fang gave me an idea.

"I may have someone who can help us. If I want to get her, I need you to buy me time. She can be our winning trump." Harry furrowed his brows. "What is 'she' exactly?" He asked. "You'll see when she gets here, for now, stay low and try to keep away from him. If we want to do this, we need to do it together." Harry nodded hesitantly, and I took that as y cue to break away from him.

I ran through the halls, trying to remember what the shortest path was. I ran until I eventually reached the place that I wanted. The girl's bathroom. I stepped in and headed straight for the sinks. I had opened the Chamber of Secrets dozens of times during my time at Hogwarts, so I could basically do this in my sleep.

I slid down and ran through the winding cave system that span beneath our school. I stopped when I reached the familiar iron door with snakes on it. "Let me in." I spoke in Parseltongue. A snake appeared and slid around the outlining of the door. The snakes in the center retracted and the door opened when all snakes had moved.

I quickly stepped inside and climbed down the ladder. I turned to face the huge chamber and at the end, right on the edge of the water, Emerald was peacefully napping. How she was napping with a war raging on above her head, I don't know.

Not bothering to think about that now, I ran towards the gigantic snake. Once I reached her, I shoved her head a couple of times until she woke up. She opened her huge eyes and looked at me. Once she recognized me, she let out a happy noise and pressed her snout against my chest.

"I know, I like seeing you too, but I'm really in need of your help at the moment." Emerald lifted her head and tilted it a little like she was asking what I needed. "Voldemort's here. I need your help to get rid of him once and for all.

She let out a determined groan. "There is a snake. Not very big, her name is Nagini. If we want Voldemort to die, she needs to die. Your venom is the only thing that can stop that snake. I need you to get rid of her."

Emerald moved her head up and down, as if nodding, and lowered her head toward the floor. She slid next to me in such a way that her head was right beside me. She nudged me a little and moved her head in a backward movement. She wanted me to get on.

I carefully pressed my hands against her scales and jumped a little, swinging my leg over her back, just like you would do with a horse. The only difference was, was that Emerald was not a horse. She was a snake and a big one at that.

Once I was comfortably sitting just below the vertebra that connected her head to the rest of her body, she started moving at a speed that quite surprised me. She was even faster than the Basilisk Voldemort had once controlled.