𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧. 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗕𝗘𝗦𝗧 𝗕𝗥𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥

CHAPTER EIGHT 

❝ the best brother ever ❞

     SCHOOL went by slowly once Nina and Embry had returned to their lunch table

     SCHOOL went by slowly once Nina and Embry had returned to their lunch table. From across the cafeteria, Paul had watched the girl sit back down as he wondered if she was alright. As if reading his mind, Nina looked in Paul's direction and gave him a small, closed-lip smile.

The next time they saw each other was after school when they met up at Paul's truck for him to give her a ride home. He once again opened the door for her like he had that morning, closing the door once she was in the cab. As she buckled her seatbelt, he got in on the driver's side.

"How was the rest of your day?" Nina asked as she messed with the zipper of her backpack.

"Uneventful. Yours?"

"Same."

The pair sat in silence for a few minutes until Nina turned the radio on to fill said silence. She leaned her head against the window, staring out of it at the passing greenery. Paul peeked over at her out of the corner of his eye, frowning when he saw her tired expression.

"I have to go over to Sam's to help him with something but once I'm done over there, I can swing by and we can watch a movie or something," Paul suggested as he looked back toward the road. "I can bring a pizza with me too if you want."

Nina looked away from the window and toward the boy in the driver's seat. She nodded softly before speaking.

"I'd like that," her voice came out in a voice just above a whisper. "And pizza sounds good."

Paul's lips twitched into a small smile as he looked back over at Nina. She smiled back before looking out the window once again. Paul's smile fell as he looked out the windshield.

A few minutes later, Paul parked his truck in the Shay's driveway. Nina opened the passenger side door only to be stopped by Paul.

"If you need anything before I come back over, call Emily," he said as he set a hand on the girl's shoulder. "I probably won't have my phone on me while helping Sam so Emily will be your best bet."