ESPYS - Jamal Murray

You and Jamal have been dating since his rookie year. He recently proposed to you during Christmas. It's been a whirl wind for the last couple of weeks since we became champions. You'll never forget that moment of watching him let being a champion set in before you were able to hug him.

It's been really busy with championship parties that a few of his teammates have thrown and the parade. You went to Las Vegas with him for the summer league games to support the new rookies. It was also a mini vacation. Now it's the ESPYS. It's the first time going for both of you. In the past, he has been invited but you never went because you were either on vacation or back in his home town visiting family. 

He was nominated for the Best Comeback Athlete. Before this past season, he had not played at all for over 18 months. It was not only really hard for him but it also hard for you. It was hard for everyone including the fans and his teammates. You were at the game where he tore his ACL. That night will always haunt you. 

It felt like the world stopped when he fell to the ground. You start crying as the Nuggets medical staff run to check on him. Mike and a few of the others guys who were on the court went to him also. You were sitting with Mike's and Aaron's girlfriends. Mike's girlfriend wraps her arms around you while Aaron's rubs your back. Everyone was hoping that it was nothing serious but deep down they knew it was bad from their facial expressions. You were not able to see him until the next morning because he spent the night in the hospital for observation and testing. It broke your heart when you saw him when he arrived at the airport. It hurt everyone who was there, traveling on the team plane. You went to every doctors appointment with him in Denver. He went to LA to get surgery and you went there with him as well since he would start rehab there before continuing in Denver. One of the first people to come visit him in the hospital after the surgery was Klay Thompson. He knew exactly what he was going through and what was yet to come. He went through almost the same exact thing. Through rehab, they became close because of it. You became close with Klay's girlfriend because she understands and knows what you went through while watching Jamal rehab and began the recovery process. They still are good friends of yours. 

It really hurt Jamal to watch his teammates play wether that was on the bench or from your couch at home and knowing that they need him especially during the two playoffs that he missed. Everyday while he was in rehab and sidelined the fans kept showing him love and support. That's one of the many reasons why you love Denver. The fans will always be there no matter what and that's what he needed. 

You two got a Uber and just pulled up to the red carpet for the ESPYS. He is wearing a simple outfit. It's a black silk shirt with black pants.

Your outfit

He gives you a quick kiss before stepping out of the car

He gives you a quick kiss before stepping out of the car. When you step out, he holds out his arm and you take it as you head down the carpet. He gets stopped to do an interview. As you get closer to the entrance of the building. You two get stopped again for some pictures. Some were just of him and some were with you.

Once you make it inside, you see some of his teammates there as well which was Aaron and Mike with their girlfriends. You chat with them a little bit even though you see them almost every day especially during the season. 

It's now about halfway through the show and the presenters for the Best Comeback Athlete walks onto the stage. They announce the nominees while showing a few highlights from their sport. I intertwine my fingers with Jamal's while we watch his. 

"And the Best Comeback Athlete is...." The presenter opens the envelope.

"...Jamal Murray!"

The crowd start applauding as we stand up. Before going to the stage, he pulls you into a kiss. You get a little teary eyed as he heads to the stage. He gives Aaron and Mike a handshake as he walks past them. They are sitting a few rows ahead of where you are.

He goes to the mic after taking the trophy. 

"Thank you. I want to thank my coaches and teammates for giving the strength and motivation to comeback. You guys pushed me to get where I am today. Some of them are here now. My boys, AG and MPJ..." Jamal points to them in the crowd and the camera turns to them. They both smile. 

"....I know it took a little longer to bring home the championship than we wanted but it was worth the wait. We'll get another one for the best fans in the world. They also didn't give up on me. Even though I missed a season and a half as well as two playoffs, they showed me love and also gave me the push I needed. The last person I want to thank to thank is my beautiful fiancé. You never left my side through all of it. She makes me want to be a better person everyday. So this is for you. I love you."

You get a little teary eyed again as he walks back stage as the next award is about to be presented. He comes back to your seats a few minutes later. "I'm so proud of you." You whisper as he gives you another kiss after sitting down. You two enjoy the rest of show then go out to grab a late dinner with Mike, Aaron and their girlfriends to celebrate.