Chapter 16

The sun shining through the crack in the curtains shimmered against Cal's closed eyes. He felt himself start to wake, letting out a breath as his eyes began to open. Blinking, his gaze looked to the window, where the morning sun was starting to peak through the curtains closed there. It was just barely dawn on Taanab, and Cal took a glimpse at the room around him. He remembered the night before, and felt something move on his chest. Looking down, he saw Y/n's head lay there while she snuggled up against his body. One hand was resting beside her head on his chest, while the other was curled into her body, squished between the two of them.

One of his arms was wrapped around her, trapped underneath her body. He didn't want to move. He felt like he was floating on air. Their legs were tangled together above the sheets, both of them having forgotten to put the comforter over them the night before. Cal's head fell back on the pillow behind him, a smile lifting on his face. Oh, he could stay here forever, wrapped in her arms. He looked down at the hand resting on his chest, and grabbed it with his free hand. There was a moment where he felt nothing but contentment, peace, and serenity. All things a Jedi must have, he had here with her.

But it all came crashing down when he realized his bare hand touched her ring.

His eyes burst back open as he felt himself be taken into a memory. Hers. The day her father gave her the ring.

"Y/n, my sweetest heart, come here. I have something I need to give you."

"Papa, please. We can get you out of here. You can go- We can go to Corellia, or-or Alderaan."

"Please, Y/n. I need you to listen to me. I cannot escape my fate, we both know that. Don't blame your mother, either. She... She doesn't know any better. I want you to have this ring as a reminder that I will stay beside you, even when I am not there. They can lock me up here for eternity, but they will not keep me from my beloved daughter."

"Papa, I can't let them have you. I can't..."

"Shh, sweetheart, it'll be alright. Everything will be alright. I promise you this."

Cal blinked as he was brought back to reality, breathing heavily as he reminded himself where he was. Stirring beside him made him realize Y/n was still there, and he almost tugged her closer for a sense of security. The pain she felt that day when she realized her father was being taken away from her reminded him of the Purge. That horrible day. In some ways, it was her version of the Purge.

When he felt her lift her head from his chest, he calmed himself, trying to forget the memory he had seen. Sometimes, his psychometry was more of a curse than it was a gift. Y/n blinked as she woke up, similar to him, and looked up to meet his face. Her eyes widened slightly, and she sat up when she realized she had been sleeping on him. "Oh, Cal- I'm sorry. I didn't-"

"Hey, whoa," Cal stopped her, sitting up to face her with a light chuckle. "It's alright. I didn't mind. It was actually some of the best sleep I've gotten in a while."

Y/n laughed, but she didn't want to admit that she felt more well rested than she had in years. She didn't even need to use any of her Blue Ivy Tea, considering she didn't have any on hand here. She soon realized this, and furrowed her brows. She was never able to sleep without Blue Ivy Tea. What made it so easy to slip into restful slumber now?

The immediate thought that came to mind caused her to turn her head away from Cal and stand up to avoid his gaze. She didn't want to think that he was the reason she slept so soundly. She gently twisted the ring on her finger, biting her tongue in thought. She heard him rise, and BD's familiar beeps started to fill the room as he turned on at their motion.