Chapter 18

Greez found it easier to land the Mantis this time around than last time, especially considering there wasn't fire and smoke clouding his vision while he tried to put the ship down on the familiar landing pad. Still, there was just as much debris on the landing pad as there was last time, but instead it was the Empire's doing. Not the Partisans. Greez remembered seeing that glint in Cal's eyes when he got a look at what Saw Gerrera did, not to mention the clear distaste in Y/n's. If the two of them were going back on Kashyyyk, which Saw retreated from, he didn't think they would bode well together. But, Choyyssyk wanted them both.

Y/n followed Cal down the ramp, but instead of moving forward, the first thing Cal did was kneel beside an abandoned Partisan helmet. "Cal, are you alright?" she asked, noticing the trepidation in his eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he nodded, touching the helmet. She could tell he was being forced into someone's memory by the way his eyes unfocused. She watched him for a moment, before he finally blinked out of the memory and returned to her. He sniffed, looking down at the ground before standing and saying, "Trilla was here. She's looking for me. She killed this woman trying to get information."

"Cal," Y/n called him, but it almost sounded far away to the boy. "We have to get moving. We need to find Tarfful."

Cal shook his head, nodding in agreement as they headed towards the entrance to the refinery. Standing there waiting for them was Mirienna, a dark skinned Partisan who pulled her hair back into a tight bun, and, surprisingly, Choyyssyk. He let out a glad Wraaaurr upon seeing Y/n, the girl giving him a grin as he pulled her for a hug.

"Wonderful to see you again, Choyyssyk," Y/n settled for saying. She still had no idea what the Wookiee was saying, but he was a good friend nonetheless.

Mirienna he greeted them with a simple nod before getting right to business. "It's good to see you're safe. Mari and Choyyssyk drew a map to your rendezvous point with Tarfful."

"I'm sorry we couldn't be here sooner, but we haven't given up on Kashyyykk," Cal told her, and she regretfully nodded.

"It's dangerous here. Saw's already gone, the casualties are just too high," Mirienna told them. Once again, Cal ignored the glance Y/n was trying to give him.

"If you all leave, the Wookiees lose their support," Y/n spoke what Cal was thinking.

"Not all," Mirienna corrected. "Mari is staying behind with Choyyssyk and Tarfful. Some of our troops went with them."

"And you?" Cal questioned her.

"My child already lost one parent. I can't stay," Mirienna told them, causing Y/n to tilt her head in sympathy. "But myself and the others will find a new way to serve the cause."

"Be safe, Mirienna." The Jedi nodded his head to her as she handed them the map to give to BD.

BD whirred as he was given the map, showing their position and were Mari and Tarfful were waiting for them. "Looks like this elevator is back in use. At least we don't have to go through the entire refinery again," Y/n mentioned, but Cal was busy studying the map, not listening. "Cal?"

"Hm?" he hummed, realizing she was speaking. "Oh, sorry."

"You've been unfocused for days now," Y/n mentioned as she started up the lift. "Are you sure you're not letting Trilla and Cere get to you?"

"I'm trying not to, but it's not just that," Cal stated, and she waited for him to continue. "Saw's forces retreating means he saw no point in staying on Kashyyyk any longer. I'm just... I'm having a hard time letting the Partisans leave this planet to the Empire."