Chapter 13

Blackhail flicked his tail dismissively as the GaiaClan medicine cat, Lampreyfur, as she added her share of prey to the prey pile.

She whimpered and stepped back. Lampreyfur had always been a shy cat, easily pushed over. Sweetamber, Lampreyfur's best friend, snarled at the black pelted deputy and wrapped her tail over Lampreyfur's. "You shouldn't let other cats look down on you so much." she purred.

"She's the medicine cat." a harsh voice snapped. "She doesn't hunt. She has done nothing to demand respect."

"Mudshell!" sneered Sweetamber. "You don't save lives! Neither do you help deliver kits!"

Mudshell snarled at Sweetamber. "She doesn't hunt! She doesn't fill bellies! She hasn't done anything to qualify as a medicine cat! Any flea-brained moggy could be a better one than her with half a moon of training!"

"Well, have you–" Sweetamber shot back, before Lampreyfur cut her off.

"Stop!" she hissed, "both of you. I don't need defending. If you're so keen to fight, do it for yourselves."

"Lampreyfur, you don't have two paws to stand on, let alone four." Blackhail scoffed, padding over and flicking his tail.

"You... You... You flea-ridden mangey furred rodent!" she hissed, swiping at his muzzle and missing.

"Your aim is filth. No wonder you're not a real warrior." Blackhail meowed cockily, before raking a set of razor sharp claws down her spine.

Lampreyfur yowled and leapt back, blood gushing from the wide wound along her back.

Blackhail pushed her muzzle into the mud until she was gasping for air. "That'll teach you to question my authority!" he hissed, and shoved her back into the ground.

Sweetamber hissed and raced after the deputy.

Lampreyfur staggered back to her herb store and rapidly began ruffling through the nettle leaves pile. She gulped some down and sucked in a sharp breath, the bitter taste hitting the roof of her mouth. She relaxed, the burning pain in her lungs soothing.

She padded into the apprentice den and nudged her apprentice, Horizonpaw, out of his nest. He dabbed a poultice at her long wound and she sighed in relief as the pain ebbed.

"Thank you, Horizonpaw." she purred, giving his ear a grateful lick.

"You're welcome, Lampreyfur. Say, how did you get that gnash? It's pretty deep."

"Ugh, Blackhail." spat the medicine cat, flicking her tail. Then she remembered something that she had been meaning to tell him for the past two moons.

Horizonpaw grimaced. "Oh, not him..." Suddenly, his ears perked up as he meowed, "Oh, Campionpaw is calling me." and he padded off happily.

Campionpaw was Horizonpaw's best friend. She had silky brown and white spotted fur and soft green eyes.

Lampreyfur sighed and bent her head to give her chest fur a quick lick. Telling Horizonpaw about his father would have to wait.