Prologue

1799-

There's a hushing noise as Colin grabs ahold of Elizabeth's hand, guiding her across the wide landing of the second floor of Aubrey Hall— the two giggling as they hide away from the second eldest Bridgerton, the eight year old girl careful to hold onto the thirteen year old boys sketch book.  She glances to Colin, and he grins mischievously to her as they duck behind a cabinet, trying their hardest to quietly hide from the teenager.

For five years, the Giles family and the Bridgerton family had lived exactly a mile away from one another (and it is the exact same in the city, a mile away from one another, with the Featherington's across from them). This meant that the two Giles children had always had the Bridgertons for company; Elizabeth's elder brother Edward befriending Colin's older brothers Anthony and Benedict— whilst Elizabeth stuck close to Colin, with his younger sister Daphne sometimes joining in whenever she felt the need to escape from their sister Eloise.

"This is not funny!" Squeaks the voice of Benedict Bridgerton, only his feet and ankles being visible to the pair of eight year olds as he walks past the cabinet they're hidden behind. The two stifle giggles as Benedict heads away from them, sounding rather irritated as he states," that book is my private property!"

"Eliza, we'll be heading home soon, give Ben back his stuff." Comes the deeper voice of fourteen year old Edward Giles. Elizabeth glances to Colin yet again, and the pair roll their eyes." This is not a game, you two."

"I'll tell mother and father, Colin!" Threatens Benedict and when his younger brother makes no attempts of making their whereabouts known, the older Bridgerton adds," or worse...I'll tell Anthony!"

"You wouldn't!" Whines Colin, causing Elizabeth to groan as the boy stands up and makes their hiding place known. The girl stands up too, watching with a quirked brow as Benedict storms over and snatches his sketchbook back from her with a glare, making her gasp out a," ouch, do not snatch! It's rude to snatch from a lady!"

"You are no lady, you are but a little girl." Benedict states as he opens the book up; making sure everything has stayed in one piece.

"And you are no gentleman, for you smell of dogs breath and cheesy feet." Elizabeth retaliates, causing Colin to fall into fits of laughter as Benedict opens his mouth to speak before he closes it again as words infuriatingly fail him. Edward stands in between the two, biting his lip so as not to laugh at his sisters words the same way Colin is.

"Come, sister, mama and papa shall be expecting us home soon. Say goodbye to Colin and apologise to Benedict for your harsh words and for stealing his sketchbook." He instead instructs and Elizabeth lets out an exasperated sigh before she throws her arms around Colin, bidding him farewell before she turns to her best friends older brother.

Elizabeth extends a hand and looks up at Benedict, the teenager looking back down at her as she says," I sincerely apologise for stealing your beloved book...and for my untrue words about how you smell."

He takes her hand in his and shakes it, before kissing the back of it gently, letting her know that he has accepted her apology. Elizabeth smiles a cheeky smile to him, and he grins right back before he and Edward bid farewell, too.

1803-

Days for twelve year old Elizabeth Giles often included tutoring for four hours, before she had to practise the pianoforte for two hours, ballet for three and then she was free to spend the rest of her day however she pleased. Recently, she had sparked up an interest in art, and was planning to ask her brothers best friend for some lessons. Benedict was seventeen now, and was unsure of how he wanted to proceed with his future; but Elizabeth had always known that the older boy had had a talent for art, even if he often didn't seem to think so himself.