Off to the Races

Dearest Reader,
It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges. Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this seasons diamond has been set forth, indeed. Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister.

Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this years players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line, although it seems Miss Elizabeth Giles has already left you in the dust.

Having her brother as her chaperone was the greatest gift of the season. He allows her to see Benedict as and when she would like, or even if she just feels like paying the Bridgertons a visit; which she could no longer casually do seeing as her and Benedict had begun courting. He makes some excuse up for their father, who is so sick of the sight of him that he does not care to hear what his son says.

Elizabeth sits with Eloise in the Bridgerton family room, the two huddled over the latest Whistledown. Edward is sat with Benedict, most likely showing him his most recent composition whilst Benedict sketches; the two content in their own activities but glad to still be spending time with one another as opposed to how it was last year.

"Is that a copy of Lady Whistledown?" Comes a voice from over Eloise's shoulder. The two smile to Penelope as she joins them, sitting opposite Eloise so that Elizabeth is in the middle.

"It is." Eloise responds.

"Do not discourage her, Penelope." Comes Violet's voice from where she is sat on the settee." If she has taken an interest in Lady Whistledown again, perhaps it means she's interested in what she has to say about the seasons available gentlemen too."

"Wishful thinking." Elizabeth comments to Penelope, who smiles as Eloise says to her mother," I cannot think of any cleverer way to say this, but no." Then she turns back to her friends and says," her latest is not exactly the philosophical treatise on the rights of the fairer sex I was hoping for, but—

"Come now, I do not think Lady Whistledown has changed her style of writing since her last issue." Comments Penelope.

"Perhaps not. But perhaps she still can." Eloise responds, Elizabeth looking between them the way you would a tennis match.

"Perhaps she does not want to. Perhaps she is quite content. And if she's even sparked your renewed interest, El, then perhaps whatever she is doing is working." Half the time Elizabeth thinks that Penelope could be Lady Whistledown, based on the things she says. Whistledown used a plant related pun in the same issue that came out the day after Penelope had used a similar plant pun on those men who had spoken to Eloise. The dots added up, of course, but if Penelope wanted it hidden then Elizabeth shall not confront her about unless there's something scandalous written about her.

"Yes, but she could do so much more." Eloise sighs, glancing to Elizabeth." Don't you think, Beth?"

"I'm staying out of this one, El." Elizabeth responds, glancing to Penelope, who just gives her a small smile in return.

"But I know I could convince her of it. If I were to find her this time." Eloise states, dragging her friends attention back onto her.