The Duke and I

Elizabeth holds onto Benedict's waist as they make their way back to the stables on his horse, her head leaning against his back. Her hair is a wild mess, yet again, but this time she does not seem to care. They reach the stables, and Benedict helps Elizabeth down; examining the cut on her cheek— which is still bleeding but also now bruising as well. Daphne rushes off back to the house, whilst the three men and Elizabeth take a slow walk, Benedict's arm around Elizabeth's waist; terrified she was going to faint even though the doctor had given the all clear and she no longer felt dizzy.

"Let's clean that up." Benedict says as they enter the Bridgerton house, Anthony going off to his study whilst Colin eyes his brother and best friend from afar." You cannot go home with your cheek like that."

"Stop fussing over her, Benedict, she is not a child." Comments Colin, walking over to them and taking Elizabeth's hand; going to take her else where away from his brother.

"I am not fussing over her, Col, I am trying to take care of her." Benedict responds and just as Colin is about to say something else, Elizabeth cuts in with," I can take care of my own wound at my own house, you both need to relax. I am not some object to fight over."

"No I—I didn't mean-" Benedict begins at the same time Colin says," we were not treating you like an object; I was trying to get Benedict to stop bothering you."

"He was not bothering me, he was being kind, which you are not being right now." Elizabeth says, letting go of Colin's hand." I shall be heading off, now."

And with that, she turns and leaves the house; the two men standing in quiet shock as she does so. On the walk back to the Giles residence, Elizabeth wipes her cheek with the back of her hand; wincing slightly in pain. Once she has reached her home, she rushes up to her room; grabbing the medical box and sitting down at her vanity— looking at the cut on her cheek. It is not very deep, but it bleeding quite a lot, and she winces as she cleans it; putting a plaster on it before she goes to wash the blood off of her hands.

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials...an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

"There is a Penelope Featherington asking for you, ma'am." Eleanor states, walking into the family room where Elizabeth has been sat at the pianoforte for almost two hours. She stands up and hurries down the stairs, confused as Penelope rarely ever visited her; especially without Eloise present.

"Is everything alright?" Elizabeth asks, noticing how panicked the girl seems. She enters the house, the two heading to Edward's old study; Elizabeth sending Eleanor to fetch them some tea.

"It is about Colin." Penelope begins, and that sparks interest for Elizabeth. The two often told one another everything but as of late, they felt like strangers." I take it you know of him courting Marina Thompson?"

"He has resumed courting her?" Elizabeth asks and Penelope nods. A sudden feeling of betrayal crosses over her as she responds with," he did not tell me."

"Her heart belongs to another." Penelope explains, the two thanking Eleanor as she carries over the tray of tea." Remember the maid I spoke of? The one with child? It is not a maid, it is Marina...and she is completely in love with the father. She is trying to trap Colin into a marriage."