After The Rain

The fastest courtship on record happened during the markedly wet season of 1804, when Miss Mary Leopold secured a betrothal over a plate of sugared almonds and liquorice in just four and a half minutes. Of course, Miss Leopold and her new husband would leave London mere hours after their wedding. Reason unknown. Of all that I have imparted to you, dear reader, there is but one bit of wisdom you must heed most. One can never know the truth of a marriage hiding behind closed doors. Beware indeed, blushing newlyweds. You know not the future that awaits. Will there be hardship...or indignity? Or will ones future see the rarest accomplishment of all, a true love match?

As for which of these fates await the eager matches of the season of 1813, only two things will tell...time, and, as always, this author.

"Then where did you meet her?" Eloise asks as she follows Benedict and Elizabeth into the Bridgerton family room, irritating her elder brother to no end.

"About town." He responds.

"At her shop?" His little sister inquires more.

"Should you not be off somewhere, getting ready to attend your very first ball?" Benedict asks, turning to Eloise; his voice one full of teasing. He puts a finger under her chin, and she grunts in irritation as she slaps him away, Benedict smirking as he sits down at a table, Elizabeth sitting down opposite him with her sketch book; the two sketching happily as Eloise sits down with them.

"Brother, might I be able to join in on the fun this summer at Aubrey Hall?" Hyacinth asks Anthony; whose sat in a chair reading. When he doesn't answer, she snaps out a," brother!"

"Provided you stay clear of my lucky mallet, I think it a fine idea." Anthony responds. Pall mall was a Bridgerton tradition that the Giles' has always joined in with; Elizabeth looked forward to it every year.

"You cannot be in earnest." Protests Gregory as Hyacinth happily exclaims," I shall begin practicing straightaway!"

As Hyacinth irritates Gregory, Eloise asks Benedict," what other places might Madame Delacroix frequent besides her shop?"

"Many places, Eloise, for her many interests." Benedict responds, not taking his eyes off of his drawing. Elizabeth looks to the girl and smiles as the teen says," you mean her many secrets." Eloise taps Benedict on the arm, and he looks over at her with irritation." You should be careful, Benedict. Both of you should! Madame Delacroix may not be who you think she is. And associating with her, well, there may be consequences!"

"I would have expected this from anyone but you." Benedict says." You think just because Madame Delacroix has a paid occupation, or because she does not reside within Grosvenor Square, she's different. Is that it? That she is somehow less deserving of our friendship; which is all it is and you know that, El...because she is not whom polite society deems appropriate?"

"That is not what I am saying at all." Eloise protests, and Elizabeth observes the girl. She had a hunch she knew what Eloise may be getting at.

"Then what are you saying?" Benedict asks, clearly irritated with his sister. The two look at one another and then Eloise sighs out," you are right. Perhaps I should go and prepare for our sisters ball."

"Perhaps you should." Says Benedict as his sister goes to rush off, but she is stopped by Violet entering the room.

"Aunt Winnie has sent word." She announces." Francesca will be arriving home tomorrow."