Ocean's Apart

Miss Marina Thompson's recent fall from grace continues to echo through every drawing room in town, days after it was revealed her engagement to Colin Bridgerton was nothing more than a sham.

Of course, a lady's disgrace does not merely tarnish her own name. Like the tars of the Thames, it also leaves a horrid smear on anyone nearby.

"Did you know?" He asks, lying on his bed, turned away from her; eyes and voice full of tears. Elizabeth sighs as she sits on the edge of his bed, looking at her best friend.

"I had heard she was with child, yes." She responds, not wanting to give away her source of knowledge." I did not think it my place to tell you...but I wanted you to see that she did not love you and was merely using you for convenience. You are so stubborn you would not listen."

"This entire time I thought you and Benedict were going to be the cause of scandal, but it turns out it's me." Colin states, glancing up at Elizabeth tearfully. She smiles at him sympathetically and holds onto his hand." I am so sorry."

"Hush, now. You were being mean, but I forgive you...and this Marina scandal is not your fault, she should not have gotten you wrapped up in it in the first place." She tells him and he smiles at her." I do feel bad for her though given her situation. I hope she is alright, this society is hard on unwed mothers."

"I admire the way you can see the good in others even when they've irritated you." Colin states, making Elizabeth chuckle slightly before she says," yes, well it is hard with certain people...it's hard when it's a parent."

"Is your father still not talking with Edward?" Colin asks, and Elizabeth raises an eyebrow, confused as to how he knows about that. He seems to realise what she is thinking and so he explains with," Benedict told me, I hope you do not mind...I was worried about you but you were angry with me and he did not wish to tell me at first but I would not stop bugging him until he did."

"My father hasn't spoken to my brother in weeks." Elizabeth sighs in response, lying down beside him." When did life become so complicated, Colin?"

"When we grew up, Beth." He responds, the two looking at one another sadly; holding the others hand tightly as they lie next to one another on his bed.

While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge...somewhere.

Elizabeth sits quietly as Colin paces the room they are in; Benedict leaning against the fire place, Anthony an arm chair. Violet is sat quietly on a settee, fidgeting slightly with her fingers as her third born rants.

"Miss Thompson must be in agonies over these lies. Why can I not visit her?" Even thought Elizabeth has said she knew Marina was with child, Colin still seemed to be somewhat unsure. Wishing to believe they were lies. Wanting to live in delusion for a little while longer in the stubborn way he often did.

"Colin—" Violet begins but she is cut off by Anthony, who says," listen to me, brother. That the ton devours every bit of Whistledown's on-dit is the only thing keeping this family from shame." Elizabeth glances to Benedict, who glances back to her whilst Anthony continues," because of her, no one believes you are the father of Miss Thompson's child. But if you were to go near her, then they'll presume you responsible for her ruin, and all your sisters will pay the price for your notoriety. Is this what you desire?"